Johnson 9.5 wont start in neutral.

gordo59

Cadet
Hi guys, I have two small issues with my Johnson 9.5. Firstly it will not start in neutral (start position,) I have to put it in gear and full throttle to get it to start. Once it starts it is fine but this can be tricky if I drift into shallower water in heavier winds. It also cuts out if I put it too low throttle but I am sure that is just the low idle adjustment. The second issue is the tilt/trim. The shallow water lever seems to interfere with pushing the adjustment knob in. I need to almost force the lever back out of the way to push the knob in. Also the tilt lever doesnt work so well it barely moves to lock the motor in tilt. I can live with the tilt if I have to but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You should always start the trouble shooting with the basics.----Post the results of a compression test here.----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on a test device , yes or no ?

gordo59

Cadet
compression is around 93 in both cylinders. It almost acts like there is not enough fuel in the start position, when I put it at full throttle it fires on first pull and runs great unless I forget and throttle down all the way and then it cuts out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Compression is good.----Spark is good.-----Next thing to do is clean the carburetor.

gordo59

Cadet
I replaced rebuilt the carb end of last year. Didn't make any difference. I also ran some seafoam through it. Wouldn't it affect the running if it was the carb and not just starting?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Did you remove the high speed jet screwed into the float bowl for cleaning ?------Checked the reed valves ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or better on a test device.-----Not some blinky inline tester ???

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How did the motor run for you last season ?----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on an open air tester , yes or no.-----Have you had the flywheel off to inspect coils / breaker points / condensers , yes or no ?

gordo59

Cadet
I dont have a flywheel puller or an open air tester. I guess I am going to have to take it to someone with more knowledge than I. I was hoping it was something simple like cam position.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hurry to--------leroysramblings------A place that covers almost everything you need to know / learn about these simple motors.----I need to step aside here.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Assuming your carb is clean may not be enough Leroys explains the low speed cleaning you must do on the LS circuit.
another finiky adjustment is the throttle /carb line up see attached page.

the float should be adjusted per the article. the HIGH spped jet hides behind the lower 7-16 bolt at he bottom of the carb. blow out all pasages with carb cleaner and air. if the jet i clean you will see light

93psi is very good for those 9.5 mine runs around 70 and runs nice all day long.

there are a couple of utubes on the 9.5hp you can look up to.
see part 1 &2 on carb cleaning

btw did you redo all the electricals ..cracked coils, condensers, points (cleanng at minimum) plug wires boots etc...??

Attachments

• 9.5 cam adjustments.PNG
    9.5 cam adjustments.PNG
    861.1 KB · Views: 1

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I dont have a flywheel puller or an open air tester. I guess I am going to have to take it to someone with more knowledge than I. I was hoping it was something simple like cam position.
redoing the electricals is not complex lots of utubes around to show you and when done you will be an expert. no need for shop$$$$$ work

harmonic FW pullers are no that expensive and will serve you forever

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
timing is simple to !!

fixing up oldies is a great hobby and learning is half the fun. most magneto engines from early 50'S to late 60'S early 70's are all the same .

You should also condiser visiting the AOMCI site where oldies back to the 1920's get fixed up again.

the 9.5hp is great troller easy to carry around not a blazzing hot rod but great for casting (low head space) . Here is one I had on my rig . btw check the side idle adj. knob if your model has one !! for easier starting.. it may be set to low. just turn it up a bit.

Lots of folks to help you revive your 9.5hp

Attachments

• 9.5 float open.JPG
    9.5 float open.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 2
  • idle speed knob.JPG
    idle speed knob.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1502.JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

gordo59

Cadet
timing is simple to !!

fixing up oldies is a great hobby and learning is half the fun. most magneto engines from early 50'S to late 60'S early 70's are all the same .

You should also condiser visiting the AOMCI site where oldies back to the 1920's get fixed up again.

the 9.5hp is great troller easy to carry around not a blazzing hot rod but great for casting (low head space) . Here is one I had on my rig . btw check the side idle adj. knob if your model has one !! for easier starting.. it may be set to low. just turn it up a bit.

Lots of folks to help you revive your 9.5hp

gordo59

Cadet
CROSBY you are my hero. I thought that dial was for the idle adjust (low speed) and I had turned it down last year last time out to try to get the motor to troll a little slower! I think that is probably my issue, I noticed turning that adjusts the start position of the cam and I am probably now too low. Next time on water I will try turning it to the original cam position and work from there.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
gee... I hope not

now you will never want to tear into the magneto to learn how to fix one :) :)

btw it is for slowing down the idle ....but not to much... usually if things are adjusted properly you would kill theengine with the push button which shorts out the ignition...not by rottling down so low that theengine dies on you....but if you prefer it that way you can slow it down to stop :)