Johnson 88 SPL

Bills KMV

Cadet
Good morning, Trying to find out what year this motor is from. The id tag sticker has been painted over so I have no way to tell. The bill of sale notes its a 1998 Johnson 88 SPL model number J88T9LECD. No model number lookup site shows this model number. I suspect the T in the number means power trim but no site shows a T anywhere. If anyone can decipher this number I would appreciate it. Also the serial number on the bill of sale is G03855610.
ThanksIMG_0128.JPGIMG_0137.JPGIMG_0136.JPGIMG_0135.JPGIMG_0129.JPGIMG_0132.JPGIMG_0133.JPGIMG_0130.JPG

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The wiring tells me it is a 1995 or older.-----If you just bought it , post the compression test values.----Install a new impeller before your first venture out into the ocean.-----Not sure about those plug wires either.----Are they wire core ?

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If the ID tag is still there you might be able to remove the paint with a little paint stripper or acetone on a rag. Don’t let sit too long just gently rub it away. You might get lucky.
Best

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 88 is not on the list for 1998 production year.----And 1998 was last year of the crossflow design.

Bills KMV

Cadet
If the ID tag is still there you might be able to remove the paint with a little paint stripper or acetone on a rag. Don’t let sit too long just gently rub it away. You might get lucky.
Best
The id tag was apparently a sticker, and its long gone.

Bills KMV

Cadet
I need a manual for this engine but without the year of manufacture its going to be impossible to get the right one.

Bills KMV

Cadet
The wiring tells me it is a 1995 or older.-----If you just bought it , post the compression test values.----Install a new impeller before your first venture out into the ocean.-----Not sure about those plug wires either.----Are they wire core ?
Thanks for the reply. The compression values are 110 105 100 and 105. I had it out last week and its was fine. As you can tell I'm a novice at this and have no idea what wire core wires even are. If I had the manual I would of course change the impeller.

Bills KMV

Cadet
Here's a copy of the bill of sale,

Attachments

• Boat Bill of Sale.JPG
    Boat Bill of Sale.JPG
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 9

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
try some utubes impellers are not hard to do ...some require the shift rod disconnected but with a bit of reseach it should not be a big deal.

change GC oil and check for water intrusion...milky cream color.... check prop shaft for mono filament (seal killing mono !!)

wire core plug wire refers to solid metal (copper) strands for better conductivity to the spark plugs.

In automobiles they use carbon fiber high reistance wire to reduce radio interference and whatever. RF noise was a pain in the old AM band days but it is not used much anymore anyway. most outboards motor bikes, lawn mower use metallic . so if your engine does not require carbon ??? never use it !!

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These motors were the same year after year.----A 1995 manual will be all you need on this one.---Simple as simple can be.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I heard someone moved there many years ago because it reminded him of Scotland.----Your compression values are not encouraging to me.----I would install some factory plug wires.-----The ones on there are way too long and look wrong to me.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
wear can't be fixed with snake oil but try a good dose of engine clear products

Merc Power tune, Evinrude Engine cleaner , even Seafoam which gets mixed reviews etc.... see what that does to your #s.

Bills KMV

Cadet
Thanks very much everyone, I'll try some of those suggestions, It seems my engine is a 1995 or 1996. Again thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See post #2 on this.---Based on the wiring it is a 1995 or older !!----Some will argue.----These motor often suffer from broken piston rings.----I do not have enuff fingers and toes to count how many engines have failed because of that fact.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I don't mean to burst your Bubble, but I suspect something going on with the Transom. Both sides of it, have Plates, and in the one pic, below the outside one, it might be dirt, but it looks like a lot of Gelcoat Cracks

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
as Racer stated, literally any manual from 1988-1998 for single pack motors will work fine.