Johnson 70 hp carb linkage

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
So have been having issues with my 1983 Johnson 70 hp motor Model # J70ELCTE that idles fine but wont get up to speed. I was thinking carbs but while tinkering today I noticed that the linkage to the bottom carb (there are 3) was out of the retainer and just floating free. I am wondering if I bent that linkage so it fit back in the retainer and maybe added some wire around the linkage until my new retainer arrives if that would be considered a"hillbilly" fix and if it would last until the new part comes in.
Just what holds that linkage in place? I see no groove or flare of any type on that linkage. Does the retainer have a one way setup that allows you to push it in but not pull it out?

TMW123

Seaman Apprentice
Dont hillbilly it lol. Its important that the carbs open at exactly the same time. On mine its a black retainer that it just snaps into and out of with a small amount of force. If its taking too much pressure make sure the groove in the retainer is lined up with the linkage.. you'll see what i mean. Mine is a different motor tho.. not sure if yours is the same.

ArrowNaughtic

Seaman
Funny but the only retainer it snaps into is the middle carb. I finally snapped that back in and everything fell into place. Will update after test run/fishing trip to local lake tomorrow! Still ordered the new retainer, I will replace it when it comes in. Thanks TMW, I just wanted to see if that carb not being hooked up was the issue.

TMW123

Seaman Apprentice
100% that was your issue unless I missed something. There is no way an engine would run well at high rpm with one carb fully closed.