Johnson 7.5hp where to lubricate?

Bevo2000

Seaman Apprentice
Hello pros,

I am hearing squeaky noises every time I pull the handle to start the motor. Where should lube (see pictures)?

Secondly, the manual states to lube the fuel shut off linkage & the choke and throttle linkage, but I have no idea where they are from the attached photos. Can you show me where they are?

thanks.

Attachments

• photo313010.jpg
    photo313010.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo313011.jpg
    photo313011.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo313012.jpg
    photo313012.jpg
    930 KB · Views: 0

Scream_And_Fly

Recruit
You will want to add a little grease on the starter engagement gear mechanism, where the red arrow points. Also, add grease to the hollow gear shaft so the black gear can slide up and down smoothly. The starter rope drum spindle can be lubricated with a small amount of oil by adding a few drops between the spindle and the drum. Use only a little oil and don’t get any on the rope itself. Don’t disassemble the rewind mechanism. Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	206.8 KB ID:	10743070Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	212.1 KB ID:	10743071

The carburetor throttle cam follower needs to be lubricated with grease in the location shown. It’s just a small lever that slides on the timing cam. If you work the throttle with the cowl off, you’ll see where they contact each other.

Finally, the choke linkage needs lubricating with a small amount of grease. You might have to remove the carburetor air box to access it completely. It’s just a plastic choke lever that actuates the carb butterfly. You’ll see the linkage connected to it. When I’m doubt, just work the choke and you’ll see where the linkage should be lubricated.

Last edited:

Bevo2000

Seaman Apprentice
Scream And Fly. Could you please show me exactly where these components are with arrows?

The starter rope drum spindle can be lubricated with a small amount of oil by adding a few drops between the spindle and the drum

Bevo2000

Seaman Apprentice
I pulled the rope and put some oil in the area where the arrow points to. Is that correct?

Attachments

• photo313048.jpg
    photo313048.jpg
    778.1 KB · Views: 0

Scream_And_Fly

Recruit
I pulled the rope and put some oil in the area where the arrow points to. Is that correct?

I apologize for my late reply. Not sure why I didn’t get an email notification about your reply.
In your photo it appears that the starter bendix pinion/gear has been lubricated correctly. Where you added oil is also fine. Always remember to use very little oil. If you use too much it can create a mess as well as attract dust and dirt. Also, some sources may recommend applying grease to the starter gear teeth. Do not do this. Adding grease to that plastic gear will only create a mess as the flywheel will sling it around inside the cowl. Further, the grease on the gear teeth will collect and retain dirt, actually causing more wear to the plastic gear in the long run.

On the throttle cam follower, just clean the old grease off before adding fresh grease. Make sure the follower tappet (the plastic piece that slides against the timing cam) is not worn. Newer engines used a roller instead of a flat tappet, which can be retrofitted to your engine if you so desire. But I wouldn’t bother unless you were changing a worn unit.