johnson 60hp vro engine mounts

matthew daley

Seaman Apprentice
can you help i have a 1999 johnson 60hp vro the top engine mount has alot of play and i cant see how to change it hope you can help cheers mat

phillnjack2

Ensign
Re: johnson 60hp vro engine mounts

To do top engine mounts is not too bad as long as your prepared to take the powerhead off .

once the powerhead is off, its a case of just 3 bolts to get the lot off, then take the 2 nuts off the steering arm and it
will come away for you.
these are just a soft rubber like the bushes in an old cortina mk4 back axle.
i was thinking about getting some poly bushes made up so they never rot or go soft and stay just perfect.

what exact model is your engine ?
by the way i take it this is a 3 cylinder 60hp ??????
if its the 3 cylinder there is no way possible to do them with powerhead on thats for sure.

here is a pic of the 3 bolts on the mid section with powerhead off

hope this helps ya see the bolts

phill

Attachments

• top engine mounts.jpg
    top engine mounts.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0

matthew daley

Seaman Apprentice

yes its a 3 cylinder from youre pics ime not sure how you have taken power head off i thought it would be the row of bolts under power head i can see that i need to remove gear linkage and engine tray and ovios bits but where are bolts that hold power head on all i can see is 3 11mm bolts going in to the leg think i need all the help i can get ive orderd the gasgets but ime going to have the engine mount made out of nylon ile make to bushes to fit where rubber goes

matthew daley

Seaman Apprentice

been looking at engine today to remoove power head do i need to remoove all cables and fuel lines gear linkage exhaust covers splash pan thats where i get stuck do i remove the 6 15mm bolts facing upwards into power head and 4 10mm bolts to gain access to top engine mounting i can see bolts underneath power head how do i remove theese engine is a 1989 60hp vro

phillnjack2

Ensign

well all the the cables and fuel pipes will have to come off for sure.
youl be better off with the engine on a stand or down on a pallet etc to be honest, but it can be done on a boat.

under the bottom tray once the 2 piece panel is off you can see the 6 bolts etc, but there is also another one
tucked up under there !!!!!!!!!!
its a little one and im telling ya its a proper pig, easy to miss it and find the powerhead dont come off ha ha .
youl also need to undo the engine tray mounts to engine to be safe, dont need exhaust cover off as thats inside the lid.
unless you mean the little cover thats under the main tray when you say exhaust covers ???

here is another pic and this time showing where the extra little nut is, pretty sure yours will be the same place.

once these are undone the powerhead can be lifted straight off, but yo do have to be very carefull as its going to be
suprisingly heavy for a little unit..
i would take the plugs out and take coil leads off as they will be in the way.
take off the airbox cover ,but the carbs can stay if you like.( think to be safe i would have them off. clean while they off anyway.
its an easy job as long as none of the bolts snap !!!
you need to give it a go with plenty of penetrating oil before even thinking about starting, especially if its been used a
lot in salt water, and i imagine by where you live it has been.

the original mounts will be fine if you can get some poly bushes to go back in them.
its just a good strong piece of iron that the mount itself is,so no reason not to polybush and they would last forever.
and with poly they could be half each side like the poly bushes on range rover chassis hockey sticks !!!!!!!
youve made stuff before so this wont be hard for you, easy to make the mounts from anything, but i dont think nylon
would be anywhere near strong enough.
you have to think of when the engine comes out of the water when going over a wave etc, the force when it lands is huge
and the nylon just might not have enough oomph to take it ???? not worth the risk when the originals can be used.
can easy burn out the old bushes with a torch.
anyway here is another pic to show the little nut you have to use a spanner on.
.engine apart 1.jpg

take plenty of pictures as you go because you might be surprised at the different lengths of bolts etc

phill.........7_3_109.gif

matthew daley

Seaman Apprentice

well all the the cables and fuel pipes will have to come off for sure.
youl be better off with the engine on a stand or down on a pallet etc to be honest, but it can be done on a boat.

under the bottom tray once the 2 piece panel is off you can see the 6 bolts etc, but there is also another one
tucked up under there !!!!!!!!!!
its a little one and im telling ya its a proper pig, easy to miss it and find the powerhead dont come off ha ha .
youl also need to undo the engine tray mounts to engine to be safe, dont need exhaust cover off as thats inside the lid.
unless you mean the little cover thats under the main tray when you say exhaust covers ???

here is another pic and this time showing where the extra little nut is, pretty sure yours will be the same place.

once these are undone the powerhead can be lifted straight off, but yo do have to be very carefull as its going to be
suprisingly heavy for a little unit..
i would take the plugs out and take coil leads off as they will be in the way.
take off the airbox cover ,but the carbs can stay if you like.( think to be safe i would have them off. clean while they off anyway.
its an easy job as long as none of the bolts snap !!!
you need to give it a go with plenty of penetrating oil before even thinking about starting, especially if its been used a
lot in salt water, and i imagine by where you live it has been.

the original mounts will be fine if you can get some poly bushes to go back in them.
its just a good strong piece of iron that the mount itself is,so no reason not to polybush and they would last forever.
and with poly they could be half each side like the poly bushes on range rover chassis hockey sticks !!!!!!!
youve made stuff before so this wont be hard for you, easy to make the mounts from anything, but i dont think nylon
would be anywhere near strong enough.
you have to think of when the engine comes out of the water when going over a wave etc, the force when it lands is huge
and the nylon just might not have enough oomph to take it ???? not worth the risk when the originals can be used.
can easy burn out the old bushes with a torch.
anyway here is another pic to show the little nut you have to use a spanner on.
.View attachment 206933

take plenty of pictures as you go because you might be surprised at the different lengths of bolts etc

phill.........View attachment 206934

cheers bits should br hear weekend been loosening bolts tapping bolts and using plenty of easing oil wurth rost off by far the best stuff on market so far no breakages