Johnson 60 Flywheel only turns counter clockwise

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey all,
i have a johnson 60 that has worked great for many seasons. the other day we were on the water and had just opened it up all the way when everything came to a screeching halt. trying to figure out whats wrong with it.
the flywheel can be turned by hand (or with a wrench) counter clockwise and can feel compression. the prop turns both directions by hand in nuetral. but can't get the flywheel to turn clockwise (even with plugs out). i pulled the plugs and put some pb blaster in it and bumped it a few times with the starter and each time it would turn it a few degrees. sometimes it would turn it slightly more than a few degrees. sometime could get it to turn a full 360 degrees with many bumps of the starter. sometimes it wold get stuck at one spot and not turn at all. battery seems good and i even had it on jumper cables to my car to make sure i was getting full juice. have also tried with a wrench on the flywheel bolt and it's the same situation.

i just put some marvel mystery oil in and am letting that sit but wondering what else i should be doing? thanks for any thoughts.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You risk damaging the starter.----Is this a 2 or 3 cylinder motor ?---Model # is?------This sounds expensive.----Remove cylinder head for inspection.

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2 cylinder. the model number is J60ELCTA. Remove the cylinder head and look for what? thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
??----Broken motor parts.----Bits and pieces of bearings.----This sounds expensive.----First thing I would do is remove lower unit to see if the the problem is in there.----So remove lower unit and see if motor will turn properly .----Perhaps you are not aware of the fact that those lower units are NOT robust on the 2 cylinder motors.----Be a quick diagnosis if I could put my hands on that motor !

boobie

Supreme Mariner
WELL ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just following up on this thread for anyone searching in the future. i ended up getting rid of the boat when a better one presented itself to me, but the new owner pulled the lower unit (as suggested by racerone) and apparently something in there was keeping it from turning (schrapnel from an impeller maybe?). anyways...on to the next project.