Johnson 6.5 hp outboard ??

bison716

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a used outboard for my inflatable. It was one of these "sight unseen" deals but it sounded very good and the price was right. Now I have it, the motor looks in really good shape but it is a different model that what I have seen before. It is a Johnson and it says 6.5 on the back of the cowl. I previously had a 6 hp Johnson and this one seems physically bigger. The model number is CJ7RST, the serial number starts with "74" (so I assume that's how old it is?), and it further states "Outboard Marine Corp - Belgium". Can anyone identify that model number to confirm the year, and perhaps this is indeed a European model. I'll put in fresh plugs and change the bottom end oil, and hopefully she will fire up with fresh gas. Thanks for any help.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Johnson 6.5 hp outboard ??

That's a Canadian commercial 6.5 hp model, from 1987. As far as I know, it wasn't sold in the USA. It's a short shaft, rope start. Like a lot of the smaller motors from that period, it was made in Belgium.

The C designates Canadian. The R means rope start. The S means short shaft.

That's as much as I can tell you about it, though. It's probably based on the 6hp or 8hp model from that year, but I don't know. If you have a photo of it, we can tell.

bison716

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks very much for the info. I tried to post a pic but my camera format is too big. I'll try out the motor this weekend. Thanks again.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Just an FYI .... even thoughs its a topic that probably better belongs in the non boating tech section, but you might not see it there ...

There are a few free photo editors around that can be downloaded for free. Picasa is available from Google and there is an open source editor call GIMP. Adobe also has an online editor called Photoshop Express. Any of them should allow you to resize photos.