Johnson 40hp how to find out the year and model from the serial number

kkrotinis

Cadet
I just purchased a boat and it has a 40hp Johnson I don’t know the year or the model the only thing I have is a serial number
G8192817 can someone help me to find out what year and what model any help will be appreciated

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I just purchased a boat and it has a 40hp Johnson I don’t know the year or the model the only thing I have is a serial number
G8192817 can someone help me to find out what year and what model any help will be appreciated
I stand to be corrected, but I believe you will need the model number of the motor bracket to decipher the year and make....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If graphics / paint are original your motor might be identified in seconds.----Post some pictures including the cowling.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Laser printed decals should never have been allowed.-----Stamped metal tags.----Or stamped on the block !!------Plastic is cheaper on the production line.-----Not useful after 20 years of exposure to the elements.

kkrotinis

Cadet
I stand to be corrected, but I believe you will need the model number of the motor bracket to decipher the year and make....
I don’t have the model number it has a sticker but I can’t see any numbers

F_R

Supreme Mariner
"G" in serial number indicates it was made in Georga. If a list of Georgia serial to model numbers exists, I certainly have never seen it. If anybody out there has such a list, please share it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
As far as I can figure out, OMC built motors at Calhoun, Georgia, from 1990 to 2000. Workers received layoff notices on Christmas Eve, 2000.

kkrotinis

Cadet
"G" in serial number indicates it was made in Georga. If a list of Georgia serial to model numbers exists, I certainly have never seen it. If anybody out there has such a list, please share it.
Thank you

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
As far as I can figure out, OMC built motors at Calhoun, Georgia, from 1990 to 2000. Workers received layoff notices on Christmas Eve, 2000.
Oh, there is something extra in your Pay Envelope, Merry Xmas. Callous Illegitimates