Johnson 40 Hp wiring diagram

Bstout96

Recruit
Looking for some help on an outboard I acquired.... Picked up what I believe to be a 1989 Johnson 40 hp, short shaft, remote steer outboard (J40TLCEC) serial number (9 02254109). Guy thought it was locked up from sitting so he gave it to me for free but after I got it home and let some kroil sit in the cylinders for a couple days she spins free! 130 psi compression in both cylinders.. Now I just need to figure out the wiring on it. Some wires were cut and spliced and on the left side of the motor there is a small what looks like a distribution block with 5 screws on it but none of the wires are hooked up to it... Anywhere I could find a good wiring diagram with wire colors and labeling of what each wire does? Also it did not come with controls so is there a good side mount control with trim that anyone could point me in the direction of? Thanks!

PhilSch

Cadet
Don't waste your money on an aftermarket manual. Get the factory manual. Often you can find used ones on ebay for great deals. In fact I just bought an unused one for that particular motor on ebay for $23 delivered.