Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
I just bought a Johnson 40 HP Electric Seahorse outboard motor and the reverse/neutral cable is broken. Any suggestions on where I could get a new one and/or how to install it? I'm a first time boat owner.
 

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
5,197
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Which cable is broken? The cable mounted on the motor that goes to the lower unit or the cable that runs from the shift/throttle control to the motor?
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

It is the cable that runs from the shift/throttle control to the motor. The outer casing has stripped and broken off the middle cable right where it attaches to the forward/reverse/neutral lever.

model # RDSL-23

Thanks!
 

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
20,826
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

You should be able to find it right here on I-Boats or any BRP Evinrude dlr.
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Great. What kind of cable is it? What is the name? Sorry I'm so clueless.
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Thanks. Getting it ordered now.
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Could you point me in the right direction for a marine battery? Would any 12v work? There seems to be an overwhelming amount of options. As much detail as possible would be great!
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

What are you going to be using it for? If just for starting, and a few accessories like running lights? If that's all, just go to Wal Mart or elsewhere and get a plain ol' group 24 car battery. Avoid the cheapest one, but you don't need the most expensive either.

EDIT: "Group" refers to the physical size demensions. Has nothing to do with quality, warranty, or anything else. You don't necessarily have to get a group 24, that's just the most popular size, and fits most battery boxes.
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

I'll look into the group 24 at walmart. Thanks.

The key broke off in the ignition and I need to replace it. Any advice for a simple, cheap fix? I heard an automotive ignition would work fine, but I'm not sure how to transfer the wires to the correct points.
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Help me out. I just purchased a 4 point ignition to replace the ignition on my current broken ignition. There were 5 points on the old one (although I think some of the wires were not being used). The one I purchased, has 4 points. I'm trying to figure out how to connect the wires correctly to the new ignition. I have attached two pictures. One picture is of the 5 point broken ignition with the wire colors coming off of them. The other is the new ignition. Can I make it work? Should I take it back and get somethingNew Ignition.jpgON BOAT.jpg else? Thanks!
 

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
874
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Someone misinformed you...

DO NOT use an automotive ign. switch. They are different internally from a marine switch, and you will blow the coils on the engine. Bad.....



<<)))(((>>
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Any idea which ignition switch I should get? I could use some good direction from someone in the know. Thanks.
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

You need a #378326 that changed to a #386545 switch assy.
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

11-mp39100_0.gif11-MP39100 - MarineWorks? Is this the one? Thanks for the clarification.

If so, it is the same price as the auto switch. Ha. Thanks!
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Cool. Got it. Thanks for the help. All the wires are good on the old ignition.
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

You're welcome, come on back if you have any more problems.
 

Nebkroz

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 19, 2011
Messages
54
Re: Johnson 40 Electric Seahorse

Like I said....all the wires are good...We'll see.
 
Top