johnson 33 problem starting

old boat 54

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a johnson 33 hp 1966. first time in the water this year, it started up fine, had a miss fire, but other then that ran strong. Next time I went to start it, it started, ran a little rough for about 5 seconds, and then quit. did this 3-4 times. I pulled the cover off, and after a 5 minute wait, it started again, however after it quit, some gas poured from the carb. It looked to be about a 3-4 table spoons of gas.
I thinking the carb is flooding out the engine. Could float be stuck or hangin open ? Reed valves ? Appreciate any help with this.
Thanks ....

Happy_Jack

Seaman Apprentice
Re: johnson 33 problem starting

Sounds like the likely culprit is a sticking float.
Probably best idea would be to remove the carburetor, buy a new rebuild kit form your local OMC dealer, and follow the procedure in your OMC manual to disassemble, clean, inspect, and rebuild your carb, Clean out ALL passages, blow out with compressed air, set the float to be level with the carb body (with carb body inverted)
Re-assemble carb, initially, set the high speed needle out 3/4 to 1 turn, and low speed out 1 to 1-1/2 turns out off lightly seated as a starting point.
Also recommend you replace all the fuel lines under the cowl, and clean the screen on the fuel filter.

this would be a good start anyway.