Johnson 20 HP. Ignition Problem

OFF SIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Hi fellow Johnson outboard owners.
I recently purchased a project boat and motor and experiencing ignition problems.
I have gone through the online CDI checklist all readings seem to be good. I replaced the CDI, thought it might be a good idea given the age of the motor. The motor is a 1987 , 20 HP. 2 stroke. From stator wires brwn/brwnyellow= 590 ohms. Brwn/enggrnd = open. Brwnyellow/grnd = open. Blk/wh (trigger) = 41.6 ohms.
Coils, both primary to ground, 2.1 ohms. Top coil, primary to plug terminal , 258 ohms, bottom coil primary to plug terminal, 253 ohms.
Is the primary to grnd supposed to be open? I get intermittent spark sometimes however looks weak.
I checked all grnd points all seems good, kill switch is working.
Any feedback would be appreciated

OFF SIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Update . Removed recoil, gave it a good spin with ratchet gun a reading of 90 volts a/c observed. Leaning towards changing the stator

OFF SIDE

Seaman Apprentice
The parts ordered from CDI. Very helpful customer service, assited with parts. Changing the charger coil and timing trigger. For the wiring an Amphenol extraction tool has to be purchased to remove and install wiring at joining plug to CDI.
I'll update when complete.

OFF SIDE

Seaman Apprentice
The plug that connects the charging coil and timing trigger to the CDI has the wires in it which have to be replaced with the new ones. Can anybody suggest how to remove them?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
without the proper tool the alternative is to try to unclip the connectors with a very thin narrow band metal insert .
see video for example... every connector has it's own design and trick.... see utubes lots of them

I have even used a 3 inch finish nail flatten out with a hammer then narrowed the flattened tip on the grinder to fit it inside some of these connectors to unclip them.

OFF SIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Tks ... I purchased pin extraction tool kit. Still confused how to release the wires from this connector plug.
I have attached a picture of the plug

Attachments

• 20230527_112525.jpg
    20230527_112525.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You spray some WD40 on there.----Wait for 11 minutes push them out with say a finishing nail.-----Importanh to keep track of where they go.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I clearly stated that you push them out.----Use the special factory " pusher ( i have a set ) or improvise with a nail.----Simple when you know how I guess.

tphoyt

Ensign
They have more like a flare to them rather a barb.
The WD-40 will make them slippery and they will push right out.

OFF SIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Tks . Took your advice, sprayed penetrating oil pushed with small finishing nail, they popped out!
Can't tell you how relieved I am.
Next replace charging coil and timing trigger. Any points on the trigger? I have marked where it sits now, is that good enough to install the new trigger?