Johnson 1986 110 won’t pass 2000 rpm’s

Ohiopwi

Recruit
Bought this bout off of a friend. He had problems with it and sold it to me. Here’s what it’s doing. Idles pretty good. When you go to advance the throttle, it falls on its face at 2000rpms. Listening to every boat marina around here, they all said carbs needed cleaned. So carbs were cleaned. No luck. Rebuilt the carbs. No luck. All new fuel lines, filter, separate tank (New), plugs n wires, and even did a compression test and a leak down. All good and still the same problem. Find TDC with the touch tool and mark the fly wheel and it was dead on the TDC mark on the fly. So good so far. Timing light shows TDC almost 180 degrees on the other side!? No sheared off key, found TDC on the fly, and it’s idling good. What am I missing here? Any advice would be helpful. I also did the link n sync prior.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check wires from powerpack and make sure they go to the correct coils.----The sky is blue.----Grass is green.-----Orange wires to top coils must have a blue stripe.

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
Did you remove and clean out the main jets in the bowl of the carbs? Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not likely.-----He states that carburetors were cleaned.----Then states they were also rebuilt !

Ohiopwi

Recruit
Not likely.-----He states that carburetors were cleaned.----Then states they were also rebuilt !
Neighbor had a dirt bike shop for many years before he retired. He cleaned them out for me. He soaked them for a couple days, then called me up to learn how to do them. The only thing he didn’t take out were the two plugs and the lead shot. (I didn’t have rebuild kits at that time). Put them back on and it was still doing the same thing. Bought the rebuild kits and he rebuilt them. Put them back on and it did the same thing. The confusing part is why would the timing light show the TDC mark on the back side, roughly 180 from the mark? It’s on the number 1 cylinder. The correct wire is feeding the coil. What would cause this?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Should not be hard to figure out what wires are in the wrong place.

Ohiopwi

Recruit
Should not be hard to figure out what wires are in the wrong place.
Problem solved. Checking the stator and timing wires to the power packs and Pin set C was pushed out and not making contact. Only thing I can figure is they put a new power pack on and didn’t catch it.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
At this point who cares....good work and go have fun!

Excellent job.

Now, gear oil, impeller, grease, quality 2 stroke oil, cleaning fluid, paint and buffing tool!