Johnson 15hp bogging down

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson 15hp bogging down

There is a brass fixed high speed jet in the bottom nozzle portion of the upper body. Did you actually remove that jet and manually clean it with a piece of solid strand steel wire? If not, do so.<br /><br />Any restriction at that point will result in having the engine bog out when throttle is applied.

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

One thing, I am throwing out, have you pulled the prop & checked for nylon fish line around the shaft? I have seen this so bad that the motor will start, but when you put it in gear will bog down because of excess friction.

tdp63

Seaman Apprentice

Removed welsh plug on top of carb and found a small piece of something blocking one of the three holes there. Don't know what it was or how it got there but now that it's gone I have a completely different and very usable motor. Has a bit of hesitation when powering on from idle but mainly only if it has been idling for a few minutes. Like it has a build up of fuel. If I don't let it idle for too long it will go to WOT without any real problem. Still not completely convinced all is good yet. After a bit of use we will see. I will now say thanks to all you guys for the advice and insight.