Johnson 150 Prop selection..HELP!

bryan50

Cadet
Re: Johnson 150 Prop selection..HELP!

Gotcha..My guy is friend of a friend...Not really a dealer.. So i dont think he has any demos..Now the jack plate..If you havent figured it out yet I'm a bit of a newbie at this boat thing so lemme see if I got this Jackplate idea right. It sets the engine back to make it more efficient and less drag....Right??...Or not even close.. How much would Bob's Machine run me? Ballpark<br /><br />Thanks again for all your help guys.. <br /><br />Budda..what is your top speed? and on what kind of boat?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

www.bobsmachine.com<br /><br />The installation is very easy. Just make sure your steering and throttle/shift cables have enough slack to go back 5" and travel up and down.<br /><br />If you have mechanical steering you may want to look at cable routing.

jy118lfd

Chief Petty Officer

If you buy the jackplate get the hardware kit also.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

all i can tell you is Stratos boats don't like a lot of set back so 6 is as far as you wanna go all the Stratos f/s boats i've seen around here run 21 viper props and seem to do great with them

walleyehed

Admiral

The Viper is a good prop but medium in the performance category, and too pricey for the return in performance.<br />Just for the sake of details, the Viper is better suited to multi-spieces type boats than pad-type hulls...there are MUCH better props for the dollar out there for Bassboat applications.

muskyone

Master Chief Petty Officer

Wasn’t sure of the price it seems like the prop of choice around here. One came on my boat. I have an 18 ft javelin same boat as a Stratos different sticker. I spent a whole summer playing with the setback and props. the 21 was really good for skiing and the boat jumped out of the water with it. I tried a 4, 6, and 10 in jack plate. The 6 is what I went with. and a 23 Renegade boat runs in the high 60s with me and a load when I dumped all my gear and Batteries it will do 74 gps but it won't get bigger guys up on skis my back up emergency prop is a 14/19 alum and it is about useless so for this boat and what Bryan is going for I would look for a 21 ss prop I don't think a 23 is what you want for what your trying to do .

fishweed

Seaman

Walleyehed, what is considered a mlti-species type boat? I have been following this thread with great interest because I am almost in the same boat as Bryanfiveoh. Mine is the 21' Stratos Ski/Fish with a 200hp Johnson GT. WOT is at 5500, but the boat takes half a mile to get up on plan. I ajusted motor hight and load to the best possible settings but did not help much. I have swapped my 23 Shooter prop for a 21 Viper over the winter, but have not had it out to test yet.<br />I never could find any performance reviews on the Viper prop. I bought/stole mine from a deal on ebay. What better props are there for these type boats other than the Viper for hole shot and overall performance?

walleyehed

Admiral

A Multi-spieces type boat is usually deeper, with steeper chines, and for the most part, usually don't have a pad-bottom. Now some will throw rocks at me, because a couple manufacturers have pad bottoms.<br />For example, Chriscraft alum, Starcraft, warrior, tracker tundra and targa, etc. I do believe stratos is now building a multi-species, but it's not fish/ski hulls...those has pad bottoms.<br />The Viper doesn't come up much in conversations, and usually when it does, it tells me it's a factory/dealer set-up with a J/E engine.<br />The stilettos, Turbos, Mazco, powertech, hydromotive, Mach, etc., are some of the performance props that will perform in most cases, much better than a Viper on a Bassboat...the Stiletto and Turbo are darn hard to beat, and I'm not sure anything will touch the correct Turbo with a good set-up.<br />The OMC/BRP Raker is not a bad choice, still not the best, but a step above the Viper.<br />The shooter was discontinued quite some time ago due to a huge drop in sales, and honestly, is a very inefficient prop.<br />Your 5500 needs to be around 5800 for best results, too.<br />In your case, you may find a Stiletto or Turbo 4-blade with a vented hub may be a better prop, especially in the hole-shot region, and at WOT it should perform better if the set-up is maximized....you may need to get the engine up more at speed.<br />Remember, 5500 would be the MINUMUM RPM you want at WOT.<br /><br />muskyone, I don't think a 23 will work for bryan either, but me saying get a 19 in aluminum is for establising a base-line. There is no ONE prop that will fix the situation.....it will be looking at the numbers of a known prop, adjusting the set-up for max, and continuing from there on fine-tuning and leading us to a recommended set-up.

bryan50

Cadet

Thanks for all the great info guys!! Will let ya know what I do. <br /><br />Bryan