Johnson 150 Prop selection..HELP!

bryan50

Cadet
Need a little help out there from the all omnipotent boat gods. I recently purchased at 1996 18.5 ft Stratos Fish/Ski with a 150 Johnson. We used the mess out of the thing last summer but I was little dissapointed with the hole shot for skiing. The top speed (52-54 with 4 adults) was there but from what I have read my WOT @ 4700 is entirely too low. I am currently running a 13.25 X 25 SHOOTER which is too much(right??).... so I guess I'm in the market for a new prop. <br /><br />I'm more interested in acceleration than top speed and I've been calling different people around town. Locally here in Memphis I have gotten several opinions ranging from "you need 14.5 X 20 Turbo" to get you to the 5250-5500 range....And then someone else said that a 22 or 23 pitch Tempest is the way to go. <br /><br />Now.... from what I understand every number in pitch equals 2-300 increase in RPM so what should my next move be in the prop department. 20 pitch on that Turbo seems a little low (5 pitches lower = +1000 RPM) for me but the hub is quite a bit bigger than what I currently use. Does that Matter? What do you guys think.<br /><br /><br />Thanks in Advance<br /><br />Bryan

angus63

Captain
Re: Johnson 150 Prop selection..HELP!

Try to find a shop that will let you try a couple of props before buying. Maybe borrow a prop from a buddy? You wanna shoot for 5800 rpm @ WOT with an average load. I'm guessing somewhere in the 20-22 range will do ya depending on model. Only way to tell is trying. Welcome aboard and good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What year is the motor? 96 also?<br /><br />Are you sure the Shooter is only 13 1/4 diameter?<br /><br />Lets see if we can get the r's up a bit before you just throw money at it. Do you have a jackplate? Can you raise the motor any? Perhaps youve tried that.

walleyehed

Admiral

I think that (13-1/4")I believe should be 13-3/4, is the small over-thru hub, and comes up short performance-wise nearly every time...the reason it's no-longer made.<br />As Dhadley asked, what year and model is engine??

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am having better luck with the Renegade than I ever did with the Shooter. It's also hard to beat a Raker for a 3 blade.<br /><br />I have a Renegade 4 blade 23 pitch that works well with the 18ft/150hp packages.<br /><br />I have a way for you to try it without costing you if you decide you don't like it.<br /><br />Email me for the particulars.

walleyehed

Admiral

his 25 is getting 4700...your 23 isn't going to get him the 5700-5800 he needs.<br />Matter of fact, I think there are other issues than the prop in this case...we need to get figured out which engine he has first.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Rabidfish -- as good as the Rakers are there are some way better 3 blades out there now. Especially if you have a pad bottom deal. If you ever wanna get hooked up, let me know if I can help!

rabidfish

FYI: The Shooter and the Renegade don't run the same in pitch.(not even close) I know, I have tried them both, many times.<br /><br />My statement is that I have had several 18ft boats(stratos) that run the 23 Renegade very well.<br /><br />I also stated that he could try it at no cost...<br />(You got a better plan than that? Let's hear it!)<br /><br />Dhadley--If you have a better prop than a Raker, then you have my attention. Not that the Raker was the end-all in props. but it was pretty good for "right from the box". I am always looking for a better product... Show me what you got!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We've seen some really good things from the larger diameter Turbo's like the Lightning's and 3 blade TXP's at 14 3/4". I've even got a couple that we've played with the shape on.<br /><br />I'm still a 4 blade guy myself but these TXP's, Lightning's and Lightning Jr's are pretty darn good. Man, they bite hard!<br /><br />I may have to change my thoughts about 4 blade stuff now that Turbo has a 5 blade. Oh no! More testing!

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Dhadley, what you gonna do when them come out with a 6 blade? :)

rabidfish

I have run a 5 blade (we're located in Indianapolis, so we preview/test some of the products before they hit the market) It's good, but you lose too much for what you gain. The only guys that I know that run the 5s well are OPC racers. (Most of them use Craig Dewald for props)<br /><br />Most bassboats still run "below the pad" propshaft centerlines so "hooking up" with blade area is not the issue. (even the 3 & 4 blades still bite the water.) When your propshaft is higher than the pad/surface of the water(such as a tunnel boat, or even the stock/mod racers) the more blades in contact, the better.<br /><br />I am a Turbo dealer so I know their props well, and agree that Precision builds very fine wheels. (especially if you factor in cost)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Dave F -- test more. Best excuse to go fishing I have.<br /><br />Rabid -- have you tried the TXPs or the 4 blade Lightning?

rabidfish

TXPs - yes<br />4 Lightning - no<br /><br />Oh... and I am all over that testing issue !<br /><br />BRRRRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!! still cold here... no matter !

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

What was your thoughts on the TXP? What was it on (a pad bottom hull)?

walleyehed

Admiral

I also stated that he could try it at no cost...<br />(You got a better plan than that? Let's hear it!)<br />
If it were allowed on this site, I would have about 250 props out being "Tested" by Iboaters'...........

bryan50

Cadet

Thanks for all the input. The engine is a 1996 as well. The thing runs like a top. Super low hours and kept in mint cond. All cylinders are within +/- 10.<br /><br />B

walleyehed

Admiral

At 4700 max RPM, WOT, it's not going to run like a top long...<br />First item would be to chuck the shooter...<br />If you want good hole shot, and good over-all performance, we need to get you around 5800RPM.<br />Do you have another prop other than the shooter???<br />How about a jackplate...do we have one???<br />If we can get that engine up some, if it isn't already, we can gain some there. The amount of set-back will come into play as well.<br />If you can get your hands on a std alum 21, or something besides the shooter to work a base-line, we can get ya up to the range the engine needs to operate in and the performance you want as well.<br />I've got 7 shooters on the shelf and they won't touch'em on ebay for more than 50.00.....good paper weights at best.<br />Give us some info on the height issue, jackplate, etc., and we'll go from there.

bryan50

Cadet

I plan to deep six the shooter for a Turbo SS 21 or 22 pitch. I dont have a jack plate. The guy I'm thinking about going through says that with the Turbo prop you can test it out and if it doesnt work out you can send it back and swap with a different kind($25 fee). Sound good?...How much do jack plates run and how hard are they to put on.<br /><br /><br />Thanks<br />Bryan

walleyehed

Admiral

Well, on the 25 dollar swap charge...it's better than nothing, but this dude should have a bunch of once-run demo props using his swap theory.<br />Jackplates are going to run wild, from 190-700 bucks to cover most...I'd recommend a Bob's Machine jackplate if you were to ask "which one", in the 5"-6" range, set-back-wise.<br />If needed, we can add 2" spacers later...

marclee

Cadet

i AM NOT AN EXPERT ON THE MATTER HOWEVER i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH SKIING. i DID SOME RESEARCH AND FOUND THAT ON THAT MOTOR A 19 DEG PITCH WORKED PERFECT. WE HAVE USED IT ALL SUMMER WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS.MY MOTOR IS A 140HP JOHNSON.<br />IT DOES NOT LIKE HIGH REVS BUT FOR TOWING AND INITIAL PULL POWER IT IS GREAT.