Johnson 115 wont rev

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
how would i find out the high temp idle?
when its warmd up it idles at 900rpm ?
but you said it shifts into gear but barely accelerates? I think the temp sensor works by grounding the spark, but I suppose this may not be the case if the temp alarm isnt going off.

hgxsilver

Seaman Apprentice
but you said it shifts into gear but barely accelerates? I think the temp sensor works by grounding the spark, but I suppose this may not be the case if the temp alarm isnt going off.
I guess I am talking out loud at this point.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes you are.----???----There is no temperature sensor that grounds the spark on the 1979 models !!

NathanG88

Cadet
the idle jet orifices have no 29 on all of them.
think iv gotten a lemon.

trying to find the high speed jet removal tool

in worst case scenario would carbys off a 84 90 with correct orifices/ jets work on a 79 ??

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Nathan what does... bought the motor private in 2020 was running fine on his boat. actually mean ???

did you see it run ok..... take a ride with the owner .....or just trusted his sales pitch ? If so ...well you bought it you now own it now it . LIke racerone said...luck will be an essential in your new hobby. At least do some reading on OB maintenance ... try to get a service manual .

if you did see it run or took a ride ...... well it was working so all is not that bad..

if you have sparks compression decent, cleaned the carbs to some extent stick to basics. clean fuel, working fuel pump, venting. and give it a good dose of engine cleaner products like Evinrude or Mercury products .

Let the fresh fuel & cleaner circulate for 30 minutes at idle ( make certain it is pumping water and....not overheating for some reason) . then let sit a while things may clear up...who knows.

don't go around fixing things that don't need fixing. for jets try some mono line (2-4 lbs shoud do or somefine wire like 22-24 ga. should do...do not force things as you go along) and add a shot or two of carb cleaner before damaging delicate jets. finish off with a strong compressed air blast

Last edited:

NathanG88

Cadet
i asked the seller for video of it running. they sent me one of it out on water couple days before i bought it.
iv got good spark carbs are now spotless just waiting on the service kit to arrive put it all back together then try again.
i have a can of seafoam sitting here is that ok to use ?

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i asked the seller for video of it running. they sent me one of it out on water couple days before i bought it.
iv got good spark carbs are now spotless just waiting on the service kit to arrive put it all back together then try again.
i have a can of seafoam sitting here is that ok to use ?
No to Seafoam. Buy Evinrude engine tuner, Yamaha ring free or Mercury Quickclean.

Follow the directions on usage exactly. Do NOT put too much in.

NathanG88

Cadet
carby kit arrived so finished doing the carbs installed them and went and popd her in the water on the trailer started heaps easyer idle better put it in gear wot and it was going between 2800 - 3000 stoped it pulled cowling off checked all the wires made sure plug leads were all way on start it again with cowl off revs all way to 5500 in gear stopped it again put cowling back on and did samthing revd all way to 5500 no problems. next is on water test fingers crossed its all good then weather was to windy today to take it off trailer and give it a run.