Johnson 115 60? V4 Timing

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Recently I posted this thread about troubleshooting a sudden no spark on all cylinders that happened to my friends motor after being shut down normally on the water. After we solved that problem, we decided to check the timing as we replaced enough ignition components to warrant it in our opinions. I decided to start a new thread so it could be searched easier as we learned a lot getting this done.

With the Joe Reeves procedure in hand we started out. I pieced together the procedure from various posts here as there does not seem to be one that contains all the different tips on how to do it, or explain how to do some of the things Joe says must be done. For example, this motor has the fast start feature which he says must be disabled but he doesn't say how to disable it. This feature gets to the powerpack via the yellow/red wire in the port side connector. We bypassed it by rigging a momentary pushbutton switch up as a remote starter and disconnecting the yellow/red wire at the solenoid (it goes to the powerpack from there) and then taking the connector for the overheat sensor (in between the port cylinders) and grounding the white/blk wire (reported to be black/wht in a different post here but is definitely wht/blk). We were seeing about 20? BTDC at WOT using Joe's method. We tried to adjust to 16? and it simply wasn't there. We could get it to ~18? but that was it. While we were doing this and watching the linkage and learning what all the parts do, we noticed the timer base seemed to be dragging a bit and not going all the way to the stop at idle. We decided to take a different approach and hooked the yellow/red back up to the solenoid and reconnected the temp sensor leaving the engine with everything electrical connected as normal.

We started by removing the timing wheel and the new optical sensor we just put in and cleaning the timer base and the top of the flywheel cover where it mates with paint thinner (it's plastic so no lacquer thinner/acetone/mek, etc.). The last 18 years worth of grime, which was a thin film you could barely see, came out off and out of the grooves and once reinstalled it moved like it was on bearings. I'm not a marine mechanic, but I have a thorough understanding of how timing works on engines. After studying the linkage and deciding what the adjustments on everything were designed to do, we were ready. As a note, the factory manual was actually pretty confusing on how to make some of the adjustments (to us non-boat techs anyway) and studying the linkage is what made it all make sense.

The first thing we adjusted was the roller arm, "A"...

Timing.jpg

Quite simply the circled screw is loosened and this is adjusted so that when at idle, the roller on the end just makes contact with the spark cam plate, "B" without moving it at all from contact at point "C" and then the screw is tightened back up. When you advance the throttle, "B" should begin to move immediately and together with the plates on the carbs.

Next we decided to abandon the Reeves timing procedure and opted for our own that incorporates some of what Joe described but made more sense to us. First, we disconnected the throttle linkage from the timing parts by removing the two screws "D" and sliding the plastic linkage retainer which is under the plate that is under the screws in the direction of the arrow. This allowed us to pull up on the roller arm, sliding it up and off of the shaft coming from the carb plate linkage. With the carb linkage detached, we put the end of the roller arm back in, slid the retainer back in and replaced the screws. As a safety precaution, we wired the carb plate linkage so the plates could not open.

Now we're ready to run it. We hooked it up to muffs and started it up. We let it idle until it warmed up (about 10 minutes). This takes care of any cold engine fast start electronic advance, thus not requiring that system to be disabled. Also, the engine is running so there's no need to set it 4? less than the 20? our engine calls for at WOT. We turned off the engine. Now we're ready to adjust the idle timing and the WOT timing. To adjust the timing, we loosened the screw circled in red and left it loose until both idle and WOT were adjusted. We restarted the engine and let it run while we hooked up the timing light to the #1 cylinder (starboard side top). Next we checked the timing at idle and got 3? ATDC. Not bad and in spec, but we adjusted it to 4? ATDC as called for in the manual. To adjust it, we moved the tab marked "F" toward the timing wheel and slid it in the notches toward the "-", verifying that the cam plate "B" still had contact at point "C". The top of the notched center piece is marked + and - if you look at it closely. Next we were ready for WOT timing. Remember, we disconnected the throttle linkage and wired the plate linkage shut. With a finger at point "G" on the throttle lever, we pushed the linkage slowly in the direction shown by the arrow until the part of the lever marked by the star was hard against the stop marked "H". As we did this, the roller on the end of the roller arm "A" moved the cam plate "B" toward and to full advance and the RPMs steadily increased to about 2400 or so. We were now at WOT timing, but because the throttle plates were wired closed, we were not at WOT (6000RPM). With the throttle lever still hard against the stop. we shot the timing and got 21? BTDC. In spec, but we adjusted it down to 20? as called for. To adjust it, we pulled out on "E" and moved it two notches toward "-". We tightened up the screw circled in red and rechecked. Everything was spot on.

Satisfied with the timing, we shut the engine down, unwired and reattached the carb plate linkage and buttoned her up.

I hope this makes this procedure clearer for future users...

Bosunsmate

Admiral
good effort, but sounds unproven. Im thinking that with out the carbs feeding fuel she would of being running really lean and if she had not got up to full rpm who knows how advanced your timing will be at wot now when actually running full with carb open.

Not trying to criticise i promise, im just uncertain as to whether this is the way to go

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
No worries, but here's the thing: the amount of fuel, lean, rich doesn't matter. As far as the engine knows, it was at WOT, as it was at full advance. When it is truly at WOT with fuel, it will still be at the same place. It's 100% mechanical. Right?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
No worries, but here's the thing: the amount of fuel, lean, rich doesn't matter. As far as the engine knows, it was at WOT, as it was at full advance. When it is truly at WOT with fuel, it will still be at the same place. It's 100% mechanical. Right?

The thing i was wondering about with fuel is that if you are advancing the timing and increasing rpm and there is a lack of fuel in the cylinders then thats not very healthy for them.
As for the WOT and fuel and timing out on the water and being 100% mechanical then why does Joe Reeves method need to have it set a few degrees retarded and not yours? As surely you are both doing similar things not running the engine up to its proper rpm and running state?
Thats the part i dont get as from Joes method it advances that few degrees when out on the water at wot under normal operating conditions which means it isnt mechanical????

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
This is interesting. It would be nice if you could run at night at WOT and verify timing. The reason that comes to mind is the difference in time and radians at 2400 to 58-6200 RPM's that it takes for all the electronics to work and create the spark. You may find that you are significantly advanced. You may be spot on. If so---Kudos to you.

I am certainly not being critical or offensive intentionally. My question/ comment may do nothing more than illustrate my own ignorance.

I haven't had to time one of the OIS loopers in quite a few years and I dont recall the manuals method.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
When it is truly at WOT with fuel, it will still be at the same place. It's 100% mechanical. Right?
Uh no.. Johnrude electronics will actually advance with RPM that why you set it 4 degrees lower than spec as it will be correct at WOT. That's why you use the timing tool to do it correctly or a cut down test prop(myself)..

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Bosunsmate, I don't think there's a lean condition in the cylinders. In order for it to run faster it has to consume more fuel. Yes, the timing is "pushing" it, but it still takes the same bite of fuel/oil it normally would every time it comes up. As far as the Reeves method, I don't know how he arrived at the 4? offset. I do know that I couldn't duplicate it. There was not enough adjustment to get any lower than 18? using his method. As far as I know, there are only two things that affect the timing on this motor: the fast start when it's cold and the cam plate when the linkage moves. The "curve" is built into the cam plate.

jakedaawg: We are trying to figure a way to verify it at night. We're thinking of tying it to a dock and seeing what we get? Any ideas on how to better do this would be welcome. However, if there is a delay like you mentioned I think it would thus fire late and I wouldn't be advanced enough...

I don't take any offense to any discussion, contrary or otherwise so no more of that... In fact, contrary theories are what I am looking for!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Uh no.. Johnrude electronics will actually advance with RPM that why you set it 4 degrees lower than spec as it will be correct at WOT. That's why you use the timing tool to do it correctly or a cut down test prop(myself)..

So the powerpack increases the advancing of timing with rpm, its not just done by the timing base position?
That sounds like quite some electronics packed in to there.
Is that a deliberate action for optimal performance or just a result of the way they are made? and do other brands do that?
Ive never understood the 4 degrees less than what the manual states so im glad this has being raised

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
jakedaawg: We are trying to figure a way to verify it at night. We're thinking of tying it to a dock and seeing what we get? Any ideas on how to better do this would be welcome. However, if there is a delay like you mentioned I think it would thus fire late and I wouldn't be advanced enough...

I know I use a horse trough and test wheel. For a test wheel you could just lop about 40% of each blade off an aluminum prop off. Maybe your local prop shop has a bad one they will sell for scrap.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Is that a deliberate action for optimal performance or just a result of the way they are made? and do other brands do that?

It the design that does this and Merc is opposite as it will retard at WOT due to increased voltage thru bias circuit....

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
So the powerpack increases the advancing of timing with rpm, its not just done by the timing base position?
That sounds like quite some electronics packed in to there.
Ive never understood the 4 degrees less than what the manual states so im glad this has being raised

Agreed and why we decided to do it a different way. We're taking our boats out today (now). He's going to meet me at our club dock, we're going to tie it up, rev it up and see what we get. With the help of my DTMVD pictured below we will see what we have. What do you guys think it will be?
  1. 20? - no change
  2. 24? - unexplained 4? will reveal itself
  3. <20? - due to electronic delay and or increased rpm
First person to guess right gets free private messaging here at iboats for the duration of their membership :)

There will be an answer by the end of the day.

DTMVD.JPG

Daytime Timing Mark Viewing Device

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
OK I'm back. The boat was launched and warmed up to operating temp.. We tied the boat up to the dock and deployed the DTMVD. We restarted the engine and let it idle for a few minutes while we set up the timing light. We removed only the small plug cover over the the timing pointer in order to assure no timing wheel interference from ambient light. We shot it at idle: exactly 4? ATDC. So far so good. I have never shot timing on an optical system before and it's impressive how steady the readings are. It's like looking at a sticker. Next we revved the engine up to ~2600 rpm in forward gear (this was approximately the rpm when we set the full advance timing yesterday with the carb plates wired closed) and shot it again:18? BTDC. Next we were ready for what we were there for. We revved the engine up in forward gear to WOT, which for us was 5600rpm. We were making our own current! We shot it again and guess what?: exactly 20? BTDC - right on the line, right where we set it yesterday. To vary the load, we trimmed the motor up as high as we could and still intake water and shot it again: no change, still exactly 20? BTDC. Trimmed it to the mid-point and shot it again: no change, still 20? BTDC. I tried to shoot a video through the whole but there wasn't enough light. All I got was really loud darkness.
So this either means one of two things:

1) There is no magic 4? advance being applied to the timing on this motor or
2) There is a 4? advance being applied, but at 2600 rpm it has already been applied

I believe that it's #2 as that's why we did it the way we did it initially.

As a reminder, we thoroughly checked out the entire ignition system on this motor. All components tested in spec except the ones we replaced. We replaced the optical sensor, timing wheel and the powerpack with new Johnson parts. The boat was out all day and ran like a sewing machine. Smooth quick acceleration and great power throughout the rpm range.

Take it for what it's worth to you...but we're calling it set!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Alright you win, but i might do mine sometime, to verify something it must always be repeatable!
Just wondering what happens to a boat thats warmed up and is at full throttle with 115Hp tied up to the dock? Ive never seen that done and might be given dirty looks forever in this small town here if it creates a raucous

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
I agree. It would be great to read about a repeat here as timing these motors seems to be a top issue with people. One thing I noticed while reading through CDI's site is that they apparently make and sell powerpacks for these motors with digital control circuits that are designed to be timed with a timing light and no special tools. If I were doing this over again, I would probably call them and look into getting one of their powerpacks if what I read is true.

As far as the boat being tied to the dock at WOT, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We were at a private dock and there were a few people around, and I told them what we were doing and apologized to them in advance for the expected noise and "current". I think they were intrigued by our setup and that we were actually going to do it.. One guy came right over and stood right next to us to watch. It wasn't as loud as I expected, even with my head two feet above it reading the wheel, but we sure moved some water. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes...

If you ever try it, PM me in case I miss the thread so I know...