Johnson 112 VR over revving

Went to the lake Saturday for a litle nuclear famiy outing. Put on a brand new Michigan aluminum prop that I bought years ago but had never installed. I have a 180CC SeaPro with a Johnson 112VR. The prop was a 14 x 17, which I am pretty sure is the same prop that I had on there.

Anyhow, I noticed that the motor would really over rev out of the hole, and I had to monkey with the trim and throttle constantly to keep my RPMs in range. For what it's worth, the lake was incredibly choppy on Saturday (it was like the harbor on a bad day), so I never got any smooth water to try and figure it out. I still don't think it should be doing this and I really don't think it's a propeller issue. The prop is about 7 years old, never been used, but I guess there is a chance that the hub might be partially spun, but I haven't had a chance to remove it and check.

Once I got up to speed and could regulate the trim it was better, but what can cause a motor to over rev like this? I did have to have it serviced by a couple of months ago because a flywheel cotter or shear pin or something had broken and thrown my timing off, which prevented the motor from cranking. I seem to remember the techician said something about this could be caused by an over rev.

Thanks,

gravysandwich