Job Candidates Interview

NYMINUTE

Captain
How many of you I-Boaters handle interviews for your employer or your own company? Yesterday I had the sad experience of interviewing a female approximately 25 years old for an assembly position in the mechanical display division of my employer. First the LOOK? No less than 7 ear piercings on each ear, one nose, one lip, and the infamous tongue post. The hair color was close to blue-black. Here are a few samples of the replies to my usual questions.<br />Are you employed anywhere at this time? No that’s why I am here.<br />Why did you leave XYZ company? My boss was a jerk.<br />Can you read a blueprint? (Showing her a copy of a print) That’s not a blue print.<br />Do you have any questions about our company? Yeah, when do you get vacation?<br /><br />This is the worst interview I have conducted in 30 years. This girl was about as qualified to work (anywhere) as OJ Simpson is to be a COP. Fortunatly the interview prior to her was a great fit, and a bonus, she is a minority which EEOC says will swing the decision her way. <br />Any of you ever have one like this?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Job Candidates Interview

I know what you mean NYM....I have to hire for my department. There are a lot of people out there not even qualified to work at McDonalds...<br /><br />Out of 100 resumes, I may interview 10. Out of that 10 I may...stress may...hire 1.<br /><br />things are a little different now!

ehenry

Commander

I dont do interviews but a friend of mine does for his company. Just last week he interviewed a woman for a clerical position and on her application her previous employment was at Marshall Durbin Poultry. Job title was "Neck Breaker" job duties "Broke Necks"

STEVEHONAS

Cadet

Ive interviewed for auto techs some of these guys dont even know what a screwdriver is

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

some of these guys dont even know what a screwdriver is
Isn't that what your wife uses to take off the tile in the shower enclosure :D <br /><br />my wife used my best Snap-On screw driver to remove all the tile in my bathroom while I was out....why she didn't use the 2 pry-bars that I have is beyond me :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I am all for people looking however they want to look, I just ask them to understand a normal persons reaction to their "look".<br /><br />My brother does interviews and he has some stores about complete losers showing up with shorts and sandals. They just want to keep the unemployment coming.<br /><br />Ken

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I interview all of our possible employees. I have to say that things like peircings, tattoos, the gothic look don't bother me, it is just a sign of the times. As long as they look clean and like they take care of themselves. Our positions are public relations orientated so cleanlieness does matter. The old boss was a jerk thing is alarming. I would have to ask why she thought so. Is it because he grabbed her butt too often, or as one I interviewed a while back he expected her to work 8 hours a day for $10 an hour and she is worth more than that. <br />The last man I hired came riding in on his classic Harley, long hair past the shoulders, tattoos, leather vest and do-rag, studded belt. On appearance he looked like a dirty biker. Turns out he has a masters degree in engineering, just retired from 20 years military, very clean and polite, well spoken. Everyone that knows of him has a great deal of respect for him as a hard worker and all around nice guy.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I didn't say it was new...just my best screw driver....I've had it about 15 years now....<br /><br />and she wonders why I won't let her in the garage now!

gaugeguy

Captain

Job application<br /><br />Deer Sir,<br />I wanna apply for the secritary job what I saw in the paper. I can Type real quick wif one finggar (middelfingar) and can sulve Solitair in 20 seconds in the Profi mode. <br /><br />I love speaking on the the telefone and as because of that I do talk to my frends on it for about 5 houers a day.<br /><br />I´m lookin for a Jobb as a secretairy but it musent be to complicaited.<br /><br />I ave a small problem from wen I was born (I ave a funnye culor hair), but have found that I offen get job no problem, so you can pai me what if you tink that I am good for the job,<br /><br />Thak you in advancie for yore answer.<br /><br />Yore best aplicant so farr <br /><br />BS : Because my resime is a bit short below is a picksure of me taken at my last jobb.<br /><br />
02.jpg

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I think deputydawg summed it up. Looks can be deceiving. We have a mech. engineer that works for us...Total biker, but he's one of the best we have and super polite. I don't think he has an enemy.<br /><br />I've seen some real bimbo's too....Pretty as a picture, but a few fries short of a happy meal.<br /><br />I always ask why they left their previous employer or why they are looking now. If I see a job hopper, I pass over the resume. I want tenure, not somone who jumps jobs every 2 years.

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been in the management recruiting business for 11 years. I have learned the hard way to really check references before I present a candidate to a customer. I have also learned that most people hate to give a bad reference on a bad employee, especially to a stranger. Therefore, I always listen to what people do not say when giving a reference. If I don't hear the right things, I dig deeper.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> "Neck Breaker" job duties "Broke Necks"
EF.... that could have been on most female resume's.....snick! :p <br /><br /><br />GG.... ROFL!!!!!! I'll bet NY would find an opening for her!<br /><br />Now I'm gonna hide in the corner!

spratt

Lieutenant

I have held three Manager (including hiring) positions in my career as a LAN Professional. I have interviewed a LOT of folks who were trying to become our newest technician, and have turned down a lot also. I never really interviewed any "wierdos" as such, but a lot of "dumbos". People who have never done computer maintenance, networking, or anything related to that as a technician just rying to get into the field. Never had a problem with it, but I have never been hiring for a trainee either.<br /><br />On one interviewing campaign, I was attempting to fill two open positions at a school district. I devised a test that would weed out the idiots from the hopefuls. One girl came in, took the test, failed every question, and because of some glitch, my secretary still gave her an interview slot. The first thing she said coming through the door was "Well, I failed your test MISERABLY!!" She portrayed an extremely deep desire to become a technician, so I directed her to look atlocal Tech Colleges to explore their courses, and sent her on her way. Her reason for thinking she was a network tech?? She worked at a lawyers office and because she knew how to operate a Macintosh, her lawyer employers called on her to help them in their stupidity problems.<br /><br />I have also had to choose between a couple VERY good candidates at times, and as KK mentined, it is usually the References and/or my gut feeling that got them selected. However, there are too many legal issues in an ex-employer giving info out on a reference. Name rank and serial number are alomst all ya can get. ESPECIALLY with large corps that have let someone go, and they might have let them go for being criminal, but they can't tell you that!! It really IS what they DON'T say that clues ya in!!! And most HR managers know how to relay a message without saying much!!!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by HeadHunt:<br /> I have been in the management recruiting business for 11 years. I have learned the hard way to really check references before I present a candidate to a customer. I have also learned that most people hate to give a bad reference on a bad employee, especially to a stranger. Therefore, I always listen to what people do not say when giving a reference. If I don't hear the right things, I dig deeper.
Ironically the look was ghastly, but the answers and 'tude gave me the impression she was fulfilling a requirement of UEI. I have seen bad 'tudes on nice looking candidates, and great 'tudes on unusal ones. This was my first looks and 'tute identical. POOR

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You wouldn't believe how many people with little or no college apply for jobs with requirements that include MBA and/or sometimes CPA. Or resumes that claim a degree but in the interview "just two more years until I graduate."<br /><br />My favorite "reasons for leaving my last job:" <br /><br />1. "I was fired for appearing on the Jerry Springer Show because my mother shot my boyfriend." (from an applicant for an unskilled labor position at my friend's manufacturing plant)<br /><br />2. "I was fired for having an affair with my boss." (from an applicant for legal secretary at a large law firm where my wife used to work)<br /><br />Sunday, my 15 year-old daughter went to a job fair at Six Flags Over Texas, landed her first job. I had advised her what to say if they ask what are her weaknesses: "sometimes I tend to work too hard" and "I get very impatient with people who frequently show up late to work."

spratt

Lieutenant

JT, very good advice, and I tend to follow those same things when I apply!!! Also, I have applied for and gotten jobs that "required" higher education degrees (though I only hold an Associates. My experience has been many times the deciding factor in the education field, and some employers have exchanged experience for education, making them equal, providing me with a "Master's" in experience!! Too many times I have held qualifications that SHOULD have gotten me the job, and I failed to follow through in teh app process because of "degree" requirements that were just put there to weed out folks who are idiots. I always advertised for WAAAAAAAY more than I requred in an applicant just so I cold meet the needs I had in a technician, and it still didn't always work. Some folks think that they can apply for ANYTHING and be interviewed...perhaps it is the Unemployment Job HUnt fulfillment thing, and they KNOW there is no hope for them!!!

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About 10 years ago I was recruiting for a chemist for one of my customers. The customer required degree verification in my search. During the interview process they really liked one candidate in particular. He had provided us with a copy of his college transcripts documenting his Bachelors degree in chemistry. Well the company made him an offer, he accepted and I was looking forward to spending my 10K fee. A couple of days later I stumbled accross something on this guys resume that did not add up. The dates were wrong or something. I called the university and it turns out this guy was a student for one year and flunked out. This guy had passed an interview with a PhD and fooled everyone. I sat there wondering should I take the money and forget about it or tell the company. Well I decided for telling the company. I confronted the candidate and he admitted forging his transcripts. He had held two previous positions as a chemist. The company of course withdrew the job offer, I was out 10K and Joe Blow was unemployed...

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> You wouldn't believe how many people with little or no college apply for jobs with requirements that include MBA and/or sometimes CPA. Or resumes that claim a degree but in the interview "just two more years until I graduate."<br /><br />My favorite "reasons for leaving my last job:" <br /><br />1. "I was fired for appearing on the Jerry Springer Show because my mother shot my boyfriend." (from an applicant for an unskilled labor position at my friend's manufacturing plant)<br /><br />2. "I was fired for having an affair with my boss." (from an applicant for legal secretary at a large law firm where my wife used to work)<br /><br />Sunday, my 15 year-old daughter went to a job fair at Six Flags Over Texas, landed her first job. I had advised her what to say if they ask what are her weaknesses: "sometimes I tend to work too hard" and "I get very impatient with people who frequently show up late to work."
I told my daughter when asked what she could do?<br />ANYTHING I'M TOLD TO! She got hired too.