Jetski dry start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jetski dry start

That is correct. Most engines, I assume, have rev limiters but no, by revving we don't mean squeeze the throttle to wide open and leave it there. I mean gently squeezing the lever and letting it off rapidly.

And it isn't a waste of gas to do that. Residual water in the exhaust and other systems can cause problems, especially if it is stored like that in cold weather. Lines can freeze and things can crack.

You need to read my post more carefully.

It absolutely is a waste of gas to do this when you've just ridden in the ocean.

The correct procedure is to take it home - hook it up to the hose - and let it run for 5 -10 mins.

THEN blow it out while it's warm for about 5 -10 seconds, after you've disconnected the hose.

Blowing it out at the ramp at least on the ocean, is a waste of time for sure!

Philster

Captain

^^ Absolutely.

If you are gonna do a fresh-water flush, then there is no reason to start it, blow it out, turn it off, then take it home only so you can start it again and run it gain when you do the full flush.

waterinthefuel

Commander

^^ Absolutely.

If you are gonna do a fresh-water flush, then there is no reason to start it, blow it out, turn it off, then take it home only so you can start it again and run it gain when you do the full flush.

That's up for individual interpretation. As a licensed airplane mechanic, I had to take a class called "cleaning and corrosion control." I would say ESPECIALLY in salt water getting ANY water out of the exhaust system isn't a waste of gas (for God sake, how much gas do you burn in 10 seconds of light revving just above idle?) and is much more important in salt water than in fresh.

I'm going to go with my knowledge on this one and say that no, it's not a waste at all. When you do a hull flush, you aren't flushing the exhaust system. At least not on older bikes. They didn't come with a hose connection for fresh water flush, all you could do was rev the engine to clear the exhaust ports and such. There is no way, short of dropping it into a swimming pool, of flushing the water jackets of older bikes other than doing the short rev when its out of the water and even that doesn't do a very good job.

So I am correct in this, sorry.

Rodent

Recruit

^^ Absolutely.

I hate to bring up a half year old topic.

When you're hauling the PWC with the exhaust full of sea water, where do you think that water goes when you hit the brakes? That's right, straight into the engine if you hit the brakes hard enough. Newer PWCs already have a horrible time with moisture taking out exhaust valves and spark plugs. Best to just get what you can out at the ramp, even if you're going to do it again when you get home.

Fifteen seconds extra at the ramp, or the possibility of a snapped valve from hydrolocking the cylinder. ;-)

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I hate to bring up a half year old topic.

When you're hauling the PWC with the exhaust full of sea water, where do you think that water goes when you hit the brakes? That's right, straight into the engine if you hit the brakes hard enough. Newer PWCs already have a horrible time with moisture taking out exhaust valves and spark plugs. Best to just get what you can out at the ramp, even if you're going to do it again when you get home.

Fifteen seconds extra at the ramp, or the possibility of a snapped valve from hydrolocking the cylinder. ;-)

Explain how water goes up into the engine (and through the water jackets) from you hitting the brakes?

Most jetski's self drain anyway, the only water you get out is stuff caught in the "waterbox"..

Also - I still stand behind the fact that it's a waste of time and gas :) I've never blown out my skis at the ramp, it's a 5 min drive to the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.