Jet Star Rebuild

GT2010

Seaman
My son was given a 1975 Ouachita fiberglass boat with a 1965 Johnson Motor and trailer. The boat is in bad condition, so we will retire it to a friends pond to hold a trolling motor. Transom is mush. Plus, I have zero experience or knowledge in fiberglass restoration. The motor has sat for years, but cranked right up and moved through its gears with ease.

We found a Jet Star two days later and purchased it for 300.00. Based on the pictures, does anyone know the year? We ripped out the deck and it has one knee brace, not three like I see on some of the other restorations of JetStars.

Our plan is to rebuild and install the 40 HP Johnson. Below are some pics of the boat. It is missing the windshield and splash well, but other than that, it is complete. The boat now rests on the Ouachita boat trailer, not the one in the picture. So basically we got a Starcraft JetStar, trailer, and motor for $300.00, plus a pond boat for as long as it floats.

With the help of this site, I restored my 1972 Supersport last year and I am looking forward to jumping in on this challenge. Had to include two pics of my 1972 Supersport restoration that I am so proud of with the removable fishing deck up front and could not have completed without the help of everyone on this site.

Will post pics tomorrow of the gutted hull.

Attachments

• photo22.jpg
    photo22.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo24.jpg
    photo24.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00017.jpg
    DSC00017.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 2

GT2010

Seaman
Re: Jet Star Rebuild

Missed this photo when attaching!

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 1

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Boy, it'd be a tough call to try and pin down a year on that, especially since it's been repainted. No info on the boat registration or anything?

No matter though, you have a great project on hand there!:D

GT2010

Seaman

No registration paperwork. We just did a bill of sale. The last two previous owners kept it on personal ponds, so it was never registered. My local DNR is supposed to contact me to come out and do an inspection and assign it a registration number so I can register it. It does have the hull identification plate still attached and it is listed as a Jetstar, not Jet.

GT2010

Seaman

Had the neccessary paperwork work done on the boat.

Pulled the transom out. It was 2 pieces of treated plywood. Wasn't sealed or laminated together. I am left with a lot of corrosion that has pitted the transom skin. A few corroded all the way through to make little holes. Do I need to prep the aluminum with anything to stop the corrosion? My plan is to continue to wire brush the transom skin, then apply JB Weld to the pitted areas, then paint over. Is this acceptable to stop the corrosion.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 0

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, you have a few deep spots there. Sounds like you have a good plan:)

LonLB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had the neccessary paperwork work done on the boat.

Pulled the transom out. It was 2 pieces of treated plywood. Wasn't sealed or laminated together. I am left with a lot of corrosion that has pitted the transom skin. A few corroded all the way through to make little holes. Do I need to prep the aluminum with anything to stop the corrosion? My plan is to continue to wire brush the transom skin, then apply JB Weld to the pitted areas, then paint over. Is this acceptable to stop the corrosion.

I hope so. That is what I did. I didn't have any holes though.

After cleaning, and applying JB weld, I painted the transom with some etching primer and rustoleum.

rrumba

Ensign

Hey GT, yours looks a lot like mine does. i am in the process of doing the JB weld myself then self etch primer and paint. I just have not updated my post yet so i don't have to hear the mob or JO :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

GT, welcome to the Starmada X2 - for the second time around. You either like em or didn't learn the first time. :p We're getting a nice crowd of SCs in the Peach state. We might have to think about a Peach-In.