jet drive rebuild

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice
Ok.... picked up a 93 jazz last a couple weeks ago for $500. Very stoked. Cleaned up all the electrical issues. I replaced a few switches in the dash and replaced starter. Motor seems to be good (compression etc), but I am reluctant to fire it up bc the previous owner pulled off the back housing and wear ring (i think?). I have all the pieces. Looks like he tried to run it in the driveway and damage the ride plate (warped a bit and was removed). The grate is broken, and the screen inlet looks like it was blown off lol (all 4 corners are missing). I have the part numbers to order, but am curious as to how to reassymble the jet drive. I plan to replace the pump bushings (thread on i think?).

The Clymers manual appears to only cover the engine, and not the sport jet itself. Am I mistaken? I need to know which manual to source to put this thing back together.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: jet drive rebuild

Clymer manual # W815 covers a full jet drive rebuild in chapter 8 , 22 pages of info including pictures .

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do yourself one favor , ignore all the electrical diag stuff on the stator and voltage regulator , these are the parts that always failed and have been updated thus changing readings and wire harness colors .

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice

yeah lol
Ive run into that already. Had to trace an ignition problem and the colors def don't always match

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice

question: i have the stator off the impeller shaft (to inspect seals) and noticed the end of the drive shaft is lightly grooved in a few spots running about an inch down the shaft. I felt the inside of the stator bushings and they didn't feel as smooth as expected. Is this critical since it's basically just spinning in gear oil past the functional part of the drive? I know it may increase vibration, but wasn't sure how much of a concern it should be. Can I smooth them out with anything?

Unfortunately the Clymers doesn't cover replacing the bushings

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it fits tight be very careful with some # 800 on the shaft , there is no instructions to rebuild the stator that I have found short of taking it to a machine shop and having bushings fitted . I have never taken a stator apart but will help you as much as I can if you decide to do so .

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice

great info thank you!

here are the stator bushings... looks to be rust from sitting? i probably hit it for a few seconds with some 800 and a vs drill

also, the shaft... notice the scoring. strange to me how that happened down the shaft lengthwise as opposed to around it's diameter

big thanks from the home of the world cup :D

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good plan , I would also sand the shaft to be sure there are no burs or rough edges , Then "flush" the stator bu filling it wit very light weight oil , tilt it so you can fill it to the top with light weight , shake it , drain it , do this several times until you are sure you have all the crap out of it , a little dow 33 lube on the seals and shaft reinstall and fill with proper gear lube .

PS if you are talking about PSP World Cup , my pic is from 2008 World Cup , Maelstrom vs Masters of the Empire.

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice

definitely... planned on flushing with atf

not familiar with the dow 33 (was going to use axle grease) would you say they are similar?

yup psp cup...never been there myself but use to frequent Waynes World in Ocala and a few other places up and down the coast. I ran a scenario team called Red Reign back about 8 yrs ago.

Im actually using a barrel hone i made for my first paintball gun i ever owned (Stingray II-barrels were traditionally tight on those and balls would stick) to hone out the stator bushings lol

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dow 33 is a synthetic molly lube that works well on all apps . It is known at paintball fields as Shocker lube ..