Jet Boats in Reverse?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: Jet Boats in Reverse?

Can anybody say...."Harrier Jump Jet" and understand the concept of thrust vectoring? Pretty much the same thing that most jet boats I have drove do, quite a few more complex things in a Jet airplane, but the same principal applies..

Basically all your doing is redirecting the jet thrust to move the direction your interested in, go forward, direct thrust backwards, you want to go backwards, direct the thrust forward, side to side, direct the thrust in the opposite direction..

Its not rocket science? Opps, perhaps it is!

:D

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Sir, Comparing Sea Doos and Jet boats are like comparing apples to oranges. Sea Doos are much smaller than a Real JET BOAT and handle much differently. I've been driving my REAL Jet Boat for years......

Now if you were to compare your Restorer to another jet boat...maybe a Day Cruiser or something similiar...your arguement would be valid....but not a Sea Doo to an inboard...

So how can you tell the difference between a 'real' jet boat and a seadoo? Only thing I can think of is they no longer mass produce any 'real' jet boats as you put it... I'm not talking pwc's. Seadoo and yamaha have 24ft class boats, which has roughly the same interior room as a 26 foot class bowrider.

If you base it on the pure # of jet boats in service, i'd argue the seadoo/yamaha's are the real jet boat, anything else is a small hobby/homebrew boutique market.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Sir, Comparing Sea Doos and Jet boats are like comparing apples to oranges. Sea Doos are much smaller than a Real JET BOAT and handle much differently. I've been driving my REAL Jet Boat for years......

Now if you were to compare your Restorer to another jet boat...maybe a Day Cruiser or something similiar...your arguement would be valid....but not a Sea Doo to an inboard...

I bow to the master. I had no idea my sea doo was not a "real" jet boat.:rolleyes:

I stand by my statement.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

hmm thats strange... looking at your .sig it might a different type of pump? So in a typical modern jet pump, steering wheel straight ahead with the reverse bucket down, there are equal amounts of thrust going to the left and right. If you turn the wheel all the way to the right, the pump is aimed at the right side of the reverse bucket, and the thrust escaping is aimed at about a 45 degree angle forward and to the right.

now that i'm thinking about it, i have seen some older jets that have a reverse bucket that is attacked to the nozzle. In that case, it WOULD be normal.

yup that explains it..... every jet I've dealt with has the bucket on the nozzle.... if it were independent then yeah would be ODD

oldjeep

Admiral

Let me clear up a few points in my statement.
1) I was talking about classic jetboats - big american v8 motors in sleek boats with huge drives, not the current jetski based stuff. Nothing wrong with the modern stuff, but it has almost nothing in common with a classic jet boat.

2) When comparing the I/O, inboard and jet I'm talking about similiar sized boats - around 21ft in my case. My I/O can pretty much back up hrough a slalom course. The jet I've driven drifted all over the place and I'm sure it is at least partially because of how flat the bottom was in the boat. Someone mentioned an inboard only backing up one direction decently - I'll agree with that so the jet does have an edge over the inboard.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

The O/P specifically mentioned seadoo so I guess we need to cover jetski's too.... btw my lil jet has a yamaha waverunner III drive and I have forward neutral and reverse positions in the reverse bucket actuator and they work quite well

I can back anywhere but can only do so slowly.... too much throttle in reverse only lifts the rear and sucks air...... the downside is that it is a 10' boat that uses more fuel than a 20' prop boat

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Let me clear up a few points in my statement.
1) I was talking about classic jetboats - big american v8 motors in sleek boats with huge drives, not the current jetski based stuff. Nothing wrong with the modern stuff, but it has almost nothing in common with a classic jet boat.

2) When comparing the I/O, inboard and jet I'm talking about similiar sized boats - around 21ft in my case. My I/O can pretty much back up hrough a slalom course. The jet I've driven drifted all over the place and I'm sure it is at least partially because of how flat the bottom was in the boat. Someone mentioned an inboard only backing up one direction decently - I'll agree with that so the jet does have an edge over the inboard.

THANK YOU!! Someone who actually "Gets it".

Well stated.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I found them to be a pain while doing all slow speed maneuvers. (I'm talking going real slow in a marina)

But as with anything practice makes perfect.

Just understand what people have been stating about how it works.

There is no neutral what so ever, it's just a point were the thrust balances out and the boat doesn't move.

Good luck!