Jet Boats in Reverse?

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have heard that jet boats don't back up well. Yet, they're still made (Sea Doo). I often dock in a narrow marina with small slips, so as I'm shopping for a boat, this could be a problem. Anybody have any first-hand knowledge (or even second-hand) about this?

Dave

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jet Boats in Reverse?

I have a 21' Jet boat and it backs up fine. I back into slips all the time.

2f2adec2.jpg

f31adbb9.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral

They back up, just don't steer very well compared to an I/O. A jet is pretty comparable to backing up an inboard though. Nice classic jet, my father in law used to have a 454/Berkley in a beeman? about that same size.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

They back up, just don't steer very well compared to an I/O. A jet is pretty comparable to backing up an inboard though. Nice classic jet, my father in law used to have a 454/Berkley in a beeman? about that same size.

???

I can put a prop boat to shame with how I can manuever my 16.5 jet boat. Backing up is no problem. I can also spin on a dime, and slide the boat straight sideways like a boat with bow thrusters or pods can. I think that jet backup/steering reputation was developed because of PWC's. Most have no reverse, or even neutral. And PWC's can be a handleful to control at slow speeds.

I need to take a video of it some time, but I often park at a dock that has two slips side by side, about 18 feet wide. I come straight in forwards, stop when my nose is about 2 feet from the dock, and then spin 180 degrees around in place. After that, I slide it straight left or right until I'm up against the dock. I'd like to see an I/O try that!

That is all with a single engine jet, lots of the seadoo's are twin engine!

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, people! It's the steering in reverse that concerned me. I dock at a place like in Crusader's pictures, except that there are slips on the other side, too, and about 20-25' of water between them. The guys with i/o's have no trouble, even in 21 footers, but my 15' with an outboard (and grinding transmission) sometimes gave me fits trying to angle in! And backing out was a lot tougher - I almost hit another boat, once, and never want that to happen again! So I guess a Seadoo type boat wouldn't be too tough to maneuveur, huh?

When I was learning to park a car, my dad put cones out in the street for me to practice between. (And I crunched my fair share...) Sure wish there was a boating equivilent! :)

Dave

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

The key is practice, practice, practice! One thing that gets many first time jetboaters is that steering in reverse is backwards! If I have the wheel cranked all the way to the right and back up, the boat is going to rotate clockwise.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

The key is practice, practice, practice! One thing that gets many first time jetboaters is that steering in reverse is backwards! If I have the wheel cranked all the way to the right and back up, the boat is going to rotate clockwise.

Oh - wow! Thanks for that heads up!

Dave

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

???

I can put a prop boat to shame with how I can manuever my 16.5 jet boat. Backing up is no problem. I can also spin on a dime, and slide the boat straight sideways like a boat with bow thrusters or pods can. I think that jet backup/steering reputation was developed because of PWC's. Most have no reverse, or even neutral. And PWC's can be a handleful to control at slow speeds.

I need to take a video of it some time, but I often park at a dock that has two slips side by side, about 18 feet wide. I come straight in forwards, stop when my nose is about 2 feet from the dock, and then spin 180 degrees around in place. After that, I slide it straight left or right until I'm up against the dock. I'd like to see an I/O try that!

That is all with a single engine jet, lots of the seadoo's are twin engine!

I agree 100%. I can also maneuver my jet like stated. I have driven outboards, inboards, and inboard/outboards, including duel engines in all those categories. My little jet boat is by far the most maneuverable boat I've ever driven. As noted, it does take practice. The first few days I owned it were very eye opening to say the least.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Also, most jet boats do not have a rudder so unless you're giving it power, it won't turn. So when you're backing up, you have to give it gas to turn it.

Og, BTW, jet skis are not jet boats. ;)

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Also, most jet boats do not have a rudder so unless you're giving it power, it won't turn. So when you're backing up, you have to give it gas to turn it.

Not true. I can leave my boat in neutral, or put it in drive (forward or reverse) with no throttle and out-maneuver any prop driven boat. It requires no "throttle" to turn.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All boats I have had (all single engine boats) maneuver pretty poorly in reverse. My current boat (200 HP OB, 23 pitch prop) swings to the right regardless of which way the motor is pointing when in reverse. I attribute it to the high pitch prop and lateral thrust coming off of it. I get by by bumping in and out of reverse to keep it relatively straight.

The little experience on jet boats (one day) I have indicates they handle really well - differently, but very well. If you get a twin engine, I think you have the ultimate in manueverability (till the price of bow thrusters comes down!)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Jet boats have the equivalent of a thrust reverser that you see on a jet airplane. And yes -- even a jet airplane can back up although it can be a little treacherous as hitting the brakes would set the tail on the ground if traveling fast enough.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

Not true. I can leave my boat in neutral, or put it in drive (forward or reverse) with no throttle and out-maneuver any prop driven boat. It requires no "throttle" to turn.

Yes, it's absolutely true. It may not require "throttle" but is absolutely requires the engine to be running to steer......unless you have a small rudder and that helps somewhat.

Are you under power when turning? Remember, the impeller on a jet is always moving (Direct linkage) and the "thurst reverser" is what propels the water in the opposite direction for reverse.

Go ahead and shut your motor off and let me know how well you can steer then. K?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Go ahead and shut your motor off and let me know how well you can steer then. K?

That isn't what your original post said though... As long as my engine is running, I have steering, period. If I turn the steering wheel while in neutral, the boat turns. If I'm backing up under power and turn the wheel, the boat turns. yes its pretty obvious that without the engine running, you don't have control. Not sure why anyone would intentionally turn off the engine while moving at any speed though...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I think you got that mixed up.... my jet boat steers the same as any other boat or car ....full right in reverse = COUNTER clockwise rotation when viewed from above

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

That isn't what your original post said though... As long as my engine is running, I have steering, period. If I turn the steering wheel while in neutral, the boat turns. If I'm backing up under power and turn the wheel, the boat turns. yes its pretty obvious that without the engine running, you don't have control. Not sure why anyone would intentionally turn off the engine while moving at any speed though...

Now you're reaching.... my post stated that you needed power to turn, which is absolutely correct. If you have a zero wind and zero current day, then go ahead and idle your turns. But unless one has near perfect conditions while backing the boat (or idle set to high) then they will need to bump the throttle.

As for turning off the motor while moving....engines quit, engines stall while idling, boats get towed....on and on and on....

No trying to argue here.....but if you want to split hairs, I'm more than willing to do that.

Moral of the story and an answer to the original poster is this; As with anything, it takes practice to manuever a Jet boat in reverse. I'm by no means an expert at it however it's not that much different than backing in with an outdrive. In fact, it's alomost like backing in with an inboard...similiar attributes.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have practice yet, but I am fixing up a jet and did research first. They steer differently, as quicker, and a lot more responsive even at an idle, but in the same direction with the wheel. If you are giving it power, it needs power to turn. Another words don't cut the power as you are turning, or just before you turn. As was said above. Practice, in open water. Jets are great motors for trolling, and again very responsive, but don't goose it as you are trying to turn. I have been shown videos of jet boats almost going straight sideways to dock. That takes a lot of practice. I've got some good info from http://vintagejetboats.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5q86s25o8fe0p0eqp8e0dp5q92&action=forum on jets and what they will do. Mine will never look like theres does, but I don't want it to mine's for fishin.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I think you got that mixed up.... my jet boat steers the same as any other boat or car ....full right in reverse = COUNTER clockwise rotation when viewed from above

hmm thats strange... looking at your .sig it might a different type of pump? So in a typical modern jet pump, steering wheel straight ahead with the reverse bucket down, there are equal amounts of thrust going to the left and right. If you turn the wheel all the way to the right, the pump is aimed at the right side of the reverse bucket, and the thrust escaping is aimed at about a 45 degree angle forward and to the right.

now that i'm thinking about it, i have seen some older jets that have a reverse bucket that is attacked to the nozzle. In that case, it WOULD be normal.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, it's absolutely true. It may not require "throttle" but is absolutely requires the engine to be running to steer......unless you have a small rudder and that helps somewhat.

Are you under power when turning? Remember, the impeller on a jet is always moving (Direct linkage) and the "thurst reverser" is what propels the water in the opposite direction for reverse.

Your original post said "giving it power". I took that to mean pushing on the accelerator.

You are quite correct that if the engine is off (not running) you have no control.

However, if the engine is running, they'll out-maneuver anything, with or without throttle.

I do disagree with your statement that they handle similar to an inboard. In my experience, my sea-doo will go anywhere I want in reverse. That is absolutely not true with my Resorter (inboard). The Resorter backs to the left only.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer

I do disagree with your statement that they handle similar to an inboard. In my experience, my sea-doo will go anywhere I want in reverse. That is absolutely not true with my Resorter (inboard). The Resorter backs to the left only.

Sir, Comparing Sea Doos and Jet boats are like comparing apples to oranges. Sea Doos are much smaller than a Real JET BOAT and handle much differently. I've been driving my REAL Jet Boat for years......

Now if you were to compare your Restorer to another jet boat...maybe a Day Cruiser or something similiar...your arguement would be valid....but not a Sea Doo to an inboard...