JB Weld repair, Stick or Liquid

litescratch

Recruit
I have an exterior crack in my engine, on the side under the manifold. I am going to try and the JB Weld repair of gluing up the crack (cleaning it out first with a mini rotary grinder). Question is, what kind would be best for this (cast iron)? Stick putty, or liquid gel, or another brand, magnum steel. We will be planning to use the boat only on our small protected lake.

​engine is an iron Mercruiser 3.0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

you may want to check to see what else broke from improper winterization, like the manifold and head. blocks dont crack out of nowhere

however I would use the puddy to try it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
+1 the plumbers Epoxy 2 part . Grind and V the area, and CLEAN the area well.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
welcome aboard.

you may want to check to see what else broke from improper winterization, like the manifold and head. blocks dont crack out of nowhere

however I would use the puddy to try it.

global warming my ass.............. crawled in boat and drained block and manifold yesterday afternoon so I didnt get that.......... was 30 last night....frick!!!:eek:

litescratch

Recruit
I used the standard two part JB Weld. I sanded the the area with a mini rotary tool, sandpaper drum and diamond bit.
​I will post updates, hopefully it will get us by for a while, and there isn't more serious damage from my lack of proper winterizing.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
JB Weld is some pretty good stuff. If it seals and doesn't come out, use the engine until you have other issues. I remember in the older days, folks would have cracked engine blocks up north where I use to live as a kid because of frozen blacks in the winter. And so many couldn't afford a new engine block. So they had them brazed/welded. And that did fix a lot of them. So at least try and see first. The worst that could happen is it doesn't work and you will be right back to where you are now. :noidea:.