FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Anyone here know of a good beginners book to start learning Java with? I have absolutely no programming background and need a book that starts with day-1 stuff.
Don't laugh, but I learned html with the "html for idiots" book. It was actually very comprehensive and easy to understand. Day 1 stuff included. They probably have one for Java too.
I have a couple of books. the one that comes to mind from a day one perspective is a bright green book by the authors Dietel and Deitel. It is kind of written from a college course perspective.<br /><br />I don't envy your task however as I tried a few times to self educate myself on Java and did not make a lot of headway. I have experience with a number of programming technologies. The OO stuff is a big adjustment.. My company is paying for a 20 week J2SE certification course. If you have the resources I would highly recommend structured training as I never would have 'Gotten it' otherwise.<br /><br />One good thing about Java is the tools are free. You can download the Eclipse dev environment from Eclipse.org. Once you get the book you can load the Java SDK and the Eclipse tool and you are ready to go..<br /><br />Good luck.
Thanks rogerwa and everyone else for your help. So far, I've been able to run hello_world as an applet and application, but thats all the farther I've gotten. I am very good with learning on my own so we'll see where this goes.<br /><br />Thanks again!