Jars of pocket Change

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Jars of pocket Change

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> I'm curious, has anyone ever filled up a 5 gallon jug? If so, how much was in it?<br /><br />Sean
Dad had a 5 gallon barrel filled. Never did empty it all at once, so I can't tell ya - but I do know that it was not unusual to wrap $150 worth of coin and not really put a dent in the thing. I think the grandkids divided it when he passed away. Not sure what the total was.

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

We filled an Ice cream gallon bucket and I told the wifey we would split the cash and it would be our gambling money on our Vegas trip last Jan. It was around $500. :eek: Needless to say I only lost 50 and the wifey lost 30 and we played 4 days for free drinks. So the pocket change payed for a good portion of our vacation. We're filling a jar for this coming January. Look out Vegas here come the penny rollers! :D

D

DJ

I use a 1 liter wine carafe. I had a five gallon water jug "blow out" on me, besides, I couldn't lift it.<br /><br />When the carafe is full, it's about $50.00.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

My mom was a waitress. She had a 5 gallon water bottle that she put her pennies in. That was my graduation/college start money. Seems like she had about $800 after 2-3 years. The story above (author unknown) really hit home for me. I have a Clabber girl can that I use for change, its almost full.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by goatherder:<br /> Since they came out with the "new" quarters I've been saving them. I've got a half gallon juice jar full of them, and am starting on my second one. Every day I go through my pocket change and put all the "new" quarters in the juice jug and most of the rest of my change goes in a big plastic pickle jar, but my wife and kids think of the pickle jar as theirs so it doesn't tend to build up.
Mrs.Link Gets all the "New" Quarters also :) and wraps them by each state.. Its been six or so months since she last pulled them out and I counted a little over $800 dollars at the time.<br />It is amazing how quick it adds up if you dont spend your change...

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> I use a 1 liter wine carafe. I had a five gallon water jug "blow out" on me, besides, I couldn't lift it.<br /><br />When the carafe is full, it's about $50.00.
DJ, was it a plastic jug or glass?<br /><br />Sean

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sean -<br /><br />My 1 gallon jug which was almost full was $279.14.<br /><br />...I put the .14 back into it as I was leaving the bank.<br /><br /> :)

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

5 gallons tends to be around $1000, quite a bit more if it's only silver.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Will any bank sort and wrap coins for free or only certain ones? I have a 3' tall Budweiser bottle I want to "Cash in" soon, just to see how much is in it.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Only certain banks around here do it for free. A lot of the super markets have a machine in them that'll count your change but they keep a few % of it.<br /><br />The machine doesn't wrap it - it dumps it into plastic bags (probably of $1000). Two of the bags got filled while I was using the machine. It was kind of neat to see the insides of it when they emptied it.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

By the way, if you can guess within $1.99 of your total, the bank gives you a free T-Shirt. Next time I'm going in with 8 quarters. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I save my change in plastic juice bottles. I actually sort it as I empty my pockets. On the rare occasions that I have rolled the change I have probably cashed in well over $1000 over the past 12 months.<br /><br />It's my play money and worth it.<br /><br />I like the gallon juice jugs with the plastic handle. Any larger would be too heavy.<br /><br />Bob

D

DJ

By the way, if you can guess within $1.99 of your total, the bank gives you a free T-Shirt. Next time I'm going in with 8 quarters. <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />
:D :D :D

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I'd been saving silver for more years than I can remember, and when I repowered my boat in April I cashed out all my "coffee cans" to the tune of $1,970.00!! It helped out quite a bit.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

I've been a saver since I was a teen. I had about 5 different places in my room that I would stash money and one piggy bank for change. As I got older I separated the change. I kept those filled jars until last year and finally cashed some of them in. I still have a Jose Cuervo 1800 bottle full of quarters that I just can't seem to part with and a little round liquer bottle full of dimes I feel the same way about. Funny, but I'm attached to those things. I think its a security thing,but I don't see anything wrong with it.<br />I also save every state quarter I find. I save both Denver and Pennsylvania mints in my collection,but all the others go into a jar. <br />Bassy

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cashed a 5 gal jug in about two months ago. Turned out it had $2700.00 in it. Me an the wife went on a cruise. :cool: ;)