Jars of pocket Change

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, over the past few years, whatever change I had in my pocket at the end of the day got thrown into a gallon glass jug. It got pretty much filled up so I took it to the bank where they have a machine that'll count it at no charge and then the bank will give you cash for your change.<br /><br />I was pretty surprised how much money I had in that jar.<br /><br />Just curious if anyone else has a change jar too?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral
Re: Jars of pocket Change

Been doin that for years, except I use a plastic mayo jug. Seldom if ever will I reach in my pocket for change. Ill break a dollar first. Then in the evening, silver in the Jug, and the pennys in the can. I use my change for Property Taxes. :mad: That Jug, full, will hold on an average year between 600 and 800 dollars. <br /><br />I was suprised the first couple of years as to how many quarters were in the mix.<br /><br />Oh Yea <br /><br />Be careful with the GLASS jar. The weight of a gallon of change has to be a strain on the glass.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

yep... 5 gallon water bottle.. Never made it past about 3 inches deep before i got the urge to empty it.. That's my rainy day/mad money...<br /><br />The one time I emptied it, there was just over $200 bucks in it.. :D Gotta love them quarters..

ZmOz

Captain

I'm very anal about my change. I never spend anything but paper money, so I end up with quite a bit every day. Every night I stack it up into piles of 10, then when there's enough I put them into paper rolls. Then when I have about $200 worth I buy something that I really don't need. I save the nickels to pay people I don't like. :D

brother chris

Commander

I have done the same thing. I usually use $80 of it to buy the new Tiger Woods video game every year. <br />Besides that...yeah, it is rainy day money. <br />Now that Canada has $1 and $2 coins, it really adds up. :D

bubbakat

Captain

Yep like snap my wife and I do this in a 5 gal water jug. Been doing it for almost three years now. Itsa about half ffull and I haven't figured out how I am going to get it loaded to get to the bank.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

My parents had a 5 gallon water bottle about 1/4 full of pennies when I was very young. I remember I used to roll it around the floor until one day it split in two and my leg ended up on top of it. Still have the scars (physical and emotional, because they had to strap me to a backboard in the ER to get the stitches in... I didn't want them ;) )<br /><br />I was maybe 6 years old or so but I still remember that day. I'll be 30 next year.

Link

Rear Admiral

Yup I have two places<br />A Green 1 gal wine jug that pays for my hunting and fishing license and two 1 week long trips.<br />With all change it holds between $400-$500 <br />However Ive been dumping all my change in the ash tray of the van and every other week or so on saturday nights when I go out for coffee the waitress will ask me for the change.. between 20 and 30 dollars so Ive been dumping them into it also so who knows.. pretty sure there is at least about 300 in bills already.. going to be a nice payday next January

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Author unknown:<br /><br />The Pickle Jar<br />The pickle jar as far back as I can remember sat on the floor beside the dresser in my parents' bedroom. When he got ready for bed, Dad would emptyhis pockets and toss his coins into the jar. <br /><br />As a small boy I was always fascinated at the sounds the coins made as they were dropped into the jar. They landed with a merry jingle when the jar wasalmost empty. Then the tones gradually muted to a dull thud as the jar was filled. I used to squat on the floor in front of the jar and admire the copper and silver circles that glinted like a pirate's treasure when the sun poured through the bedroom window. <br /><br />When the jar was filled, Dad would sit at the kitchen table and roll the coins before taking them to the bank. Taking the coins to the bank was always a big production. Stacked neatly in a small cardboard box, the coins were placed between Dad and me on the seat of his old truck. <br /><br />Each and every time, as we drove to the bank, Dad would look at me hopefully. <br /><br />"Those coins are going to keep you out of the textile mill, son. <br /><br />You're going to do better than me. This old mill town's not going to hold you back." Also, each and every time, as he slid the box of rolled coins across the counter at the bank toward the cashier, he would grin proudly. <br /><br />"These are for my son's college fund. He'll never work at the mill all his life like me." <br /><br />We would always celebrate each deposit by stopping for an ice cream cone. <br /><br />I always got chocolate. Dad always got vanilla. When the clerk at the ice cream parlor handed Dad his change, he would show me the few coins nestled in his palm. "When we get home, we'll start filling the jar again." He always let me drop the first coins into the empty jar. As they rattled around with a brief, happy jingle, we grinned at each other. "You'll get to college on pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters," he said. "But you'll get there. I'll see to that." <br /><br />The years passed, and I finished college and took a job in another town. <br /><br />Once, while visiting my parents, I used the phone in their bedroom, and noticed that the pickle jar was gone. It had served its purpose and had been removed. A lump rose in my throat as I stared at the spot beside the dresser where the jar had always stood. My dad was a man of few words, and never lectured me on the values of determination, perseverance, and faith. The pickle jar had taught me all these virtues far more eloquently than the most flowery of words could have done. <br /><br />When I married, I told my wife Susan about the significant part the lowly pickle jar had played in my life as a boy. In my mind, it defined, more than anything else, how much my dad had loved me. No matter how rough things got at home, Dad continued to doggedly drop his coins into the jar. Even the summer when Dad got laid off from the mill, and Mama had to serve dried beans several times a week, not a single dime was taken from the jar. <br /><br />To the contrary, as Dad looked across the table at me, pouring catsup over my beans to make them more palatable, he became more determined than ever to make away out for me. "When you finish college, Son," he told me, his eyes glistening, "You'll never have to eat beans again...unless you want to." <br /><br />The first Christmas after our daughter Jessica was born, we spent the holiday with my parents. After dinner, Mom and Dad sat next to each other on the sofa, taking turns cuddling their first grandchild. Jessica began to whimper softly, and Susan took her from Dad's arms. "She probably needs to be changed," she said, carrying the baby into my parents' bedroom to diaper her. <br /><br />When Susan came back into the living room, there was a strange mist in her eyes. She handed Jessica back to Dad before taking my hand and leading me into the room. "Look," she said softly, her eyes directing me to a spot on the floor beside the dresser. To my amazement, there, as if it had never been removed, stood the old pickle jar, the bottom already covered with coins. I walked over to the pickle jar, dug down into my pocket, and pulled out a fistful of coins. With a gamut of emotions choking me, I dropped the coins into the jar. I looked up and saw that Dad, carrying Jessica, had slipped quietly into the room. Our eyes locked, and I knew he was feeling the same emotions I felt. <br /><br />Neither one of us could speak. <br /><br />This truely touched my heart.....I know it has yours as well. <br /><br />Sometimes we are so busy adding up our troubles that we forget to count our blessings. Sorrow looks back. Worry looks around. Faith looks UP! <br /><br />Have A Nice Day !!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

My wife and I have a big plastic coke bottle that stands about 3 feet tall. It seemed that the more we put in, the level kept going down. I asked my son if he was taking it. He said "NO DAD, I wouldn't do that". He's been gone out of the house for a year now and the level is going back up. Should I believe him when he said he didn't take any? I don't think I do. :D

aspeck

Staff member

I don't spend pennies! Save them. First boat I bought, at 15 years old, I took a suitcase full of unwrapped pennies and put them on the counter for deposit! Dealer gave me $50 off the boat if I took them home to wrap them. Bank did if for me and I turned $66 worth of pennies into $116!<br /><br />I probably have about $150 worth of pennies right now. Fun to take them into a store at Christmas time and try to buy something! Yea, I know, I am bad!

Twidget

Commander

My son is 8 and for the last 2 years has been 'stealing' my change. He has about $500 in the bank, $500 in stocks(yes those stocks) and recently bought himself an airhockey table. He also collects cans to recycle. I wish I had his money self control, when he gets something from his grandparents, he puts half in the bank and the other half in his piggy bank.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Way back when I was in HS and had a job at a grocery store, we had to carry the groceries to the cars. Sometimes the folk would tip usually 25-50 cents, now this was in 79-82. I kept all the change in a bucket in my room and used the money for concert tickets and the t-shirts. Now we keep the silver seperate from the pennies and use the silver when we go to the movies to pay for the munchies. Boy those clerks hate to see us! ;)

rwise

Captain

I do about the same, have change in ever drawer, boxes jars. Maybe I should think about cashing in some day, haven't done that in 6 or seven years now! Just might have that down on a new hog :D

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I usually save my quarters for the car wash, use the rest of the silver to buy lunch a couple times a month, keep about 50 pennies in the car and the rest go into a gallon wine jug, which is about half full. Had it nearly full once, but cashed about half of them out at my parents business when they about ran out of change on the weekend. Might have $5-10 only... My spends hers where she can, and about once a month, dumps the leftovers into our daughters piggy bank.

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

I also have the 3'tall coke bottle which is about half full 1-2yrs so far.....I never ever spend change,Now if I can just get the girlfriend to do the same,if the total for something she buys is $8.69 or whatever she will do her best to find the correct change....I keep telling her its our vacation money.<br /><br />Back when I was a kid,My mom after every payday,she would buy a roll of 50 cent peices and open the roll up and put them in the change jar,Every year that would be how we payed for our family vacations.<br />Pocket change builds up fast.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had a 5 gallon, glass, water jug full a number of years back, woke up in the middle of the night wondering what the all the noise was. Thing shattered from all the weight and there were pennies gushing out all over the place...... :rolleyes:

Ron G

Commander

ive been using the plastic gallon candy jars,when they get full i'll take a trip to tunca for a little gambling.

eeboater

Commander

I'm curious, has anyone ever filled up a 5 gallon jug? If so, how much was in it?<br /><br />Sean

goatherder

Seaman Apprentice

Since they came out with the "new" quarters I've been saving them. I've got a half gallon juice jar full of them, and am starting on my second one. Every day I go through my pocket change and put all the "new" quarters in the juice jug and most of the rest of my change goes in a big plastic pickle jar, but my wife and kids think of the pickle jar as theirs so it doesn't tend to build up.