Jackplate recommendation

dnyhuf

Seaman
Want to get a plate for my 1992 Cajun 1900 Tournament. It has a 1992 200GT attached. Does anyone have some recommendations for what size plate? Any other setup suggestions?

BillP

Captain
Re: Jackplate recommendation

Try bob's machine dot com. Nobody has been doing it longer or knows more about jackplates. They mfg it all including the aftermaket goodies needed to get the most out of a jackplate. Your motor needs the low water pick, water pressure gauge and different prop (27P or more!) to get full potential...and the performance will be large compared to just adding the jp. All you have to do is send the lower unit to Bob's and they do the rest.

dnyhuf

Seaman

Well....I checked out BobsMachine FAQ section and they generally recommend 10"-12" setback for Bass boats. I guess my thoughts were that someone here may have specific info on that boat-motor combo, considering the manufacturer can no longer supply us with info.
As far as water pickup, what are some thoughts on the transom mounted unit Bobs has?

gregr1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i second the bob's and at a minimum a water pressure guage. i use a 5" BUT i have a tunnel hull, 2 different style boats.
if you do go with the 10-12" setback, you may have cable legth issues.

dnyhuf

Seaman

Well...regardless of any cable or other issues that may arise, does anyone have performance results for various setups for this boat?

crazycajun25

Cadet

Hi I have a 1989 cajun 17ft with a 150 Xp rude I have a 6'' Jackplate on it .
I get better hole shot,better accelleration and top speed than I did before
The water gage is a must though as it lets you know your water pressure
all the time. I have the motor up 7'' up off the transome and she runs
68mph by gps .hope this helps
Crazy

dnyhuf

Seaman

Yeah....Looks like a pressure gauge is in order....might install a temp gauge while I'm at it. I have asked this same setup question on some other sites, and the consensus so far is 6" plate, start at 4" below pad and work up. Thanks for the input. Anyone else?