Jackplate on 373v

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have someone giving me a jack plate for my boat. It's a 1986 373v with an Evinrude XP150 on the back.

A couple of questions:
1) How will this affect pulling a tube or a skier? Will it make it easier or harder? I have young kids, so I use this boat for pleasure probably more than fishing at this point.

2) Will it affect what prop I run? Currently a Rakker 17, I believe, for fishing and I'm getting a different prop for pulling a skier just can't remember pitch.

3) Is this something I can install myself fairly easily or is it something I should have the shop install? My neighbor has a 1200lb electric hoist in his garage, which he uses to clean deer with. I just would need to know what height to set it at and where the best location to hang the motor is.

4) Any reason not to install this??

Thanks for any feedback!

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Jackplate on 373v

Is anyone currently running a jack plate on this or a similar model? If so, what are you using? Manual or hydraulic and brand recommendations as well. Ranger told me they recommend a 6" setback for my model, which is good, because I understand normally a 6" doesn't require new cables, but going to an 8"+ usually requires cables.

I was given one, but it doesn't look like it's going to work out, so I am looking into buying a new one.

Thanks

proanglerwannabe

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Jackplate on 373v

I have an 86 373V with a manual 6" setback. I can't really offer much help though, I am still trying to get the engine height set perfect. Call merc and ask them for the best height to run it. They told me to set the cavitation plate at 2" above the bottom of the boat and play from there. Also they said to try a 21 pitch prop. I haven't tried it yet but the motor is set at 2" and I am gonna go from there.