Jacking up a boat

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the best way for me to jackup my 14 foot MFG SuperBass in order for me to work on the trailer. The boat is too heavy to pick up and set aside. Are there certain points on the boat that I should jack up because I don't want to put too much pressure on any given point to where it will crack or break the boat?<br /><br />I've seen pictures of people having boats sitting on jack stands and crib blocks but not sure what the right technique is.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Jacking up a boat

read "Yippie for me" and "trailer repairs" in the trailer and towing forum.

Bondo

Staff member

Are there certain points on the boat that I should jack up because I don't want to put too much pressure on any given point to where it will crack or break the boat?
The Points of Strength in Any boat Hull are,....<br />The Transom.....<br />The Keel........<br />The Strakes......<br />In that Order........ ;) <br /><br />Over in the Trailer Forums there's Alot of posts about it,..As tashasdaddy has mentioned a couple......<br />A Search would turn up Many More.......

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

BWS, All power boats on blocks have supports in the stern corners, and bow keel. On your 14 footer, I would drop the trailer tongue, place blocks under the stern corners, lift the tongue to engage the blocks and block up the bow part of the keel. If someone can hold the bow up (light boat?), you can then pull out the trailer, and then block the keel. My friend and his father used to remove the 85HP motor from his 16 foot runabout, and set the boat on some saw horses during the winter. They used the trailer to transport their snowmobile.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

I just pushed mine off on the lawn and then cranked it back on when I was done. but I have a shorelander trailer..

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Loaded out boat? I'd find a marina and rent a weeks worth of time. <br /> On and off of a trailer on even a bare hull isn't much fun.