J6RSRS water passage diagram? '04 Johnson 6hp 4 stroke not peeing.........

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
I'm dyin' here, hopin for some help. had this problem before - motor ran great in Maine, moved to Georgia, no water at the pee hole. I put it on the stand and started lookin at it. yanked the gear case, put the drill to the drive shaft and it shot water, popped the vermistat out, threw it in a ot of hot water, worked fine, no water at the pee hole. It sat around a while as I serially digested, left it and came back, cause i'm kind of short bus and that's how i gotta do it. I did find a weird cavity the water went thru at some point, opened it up, and BAM! TRASH! Cleared it, reassembled, life was sweet indeed for a while. Fast forward a couple of years, I went back to Maine while the motor sat in storage in GA a couple of years, then I went down and collected all my junk, motor included. Changed motor oil, gear lube, lit it up, no water. I didn't beliive the t-stat or the impeller, but I checked'em anyway, cause God help me, I canNot remember where I found the trash was last time. The factory service manual has been quite useless thru all this, annybody got any idea where the secret water cavity is? Even a diagram of the complete passages would prolly do it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
J6RSRS is not the 4 stroke model !----Check the model # again.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Four strokes come up on all the parts sites i enter that number in - uuuuuhhhhh i got no idea where to go with this

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That model # appears to be a 2 stroke.----Post a few pictures of the powerhead.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Four strokes come up on all the parts sites i enter that number in - uuuuuhhhhh i got no idea where to go with this

You link is not allowed by iBoats. Presumably because it was to a competitors website

The model numbers for 2004. 6hp are:

J6RSRS (2 stroke). J6RLSRS ( 2 stroke , long shaft)
J6R4SRC ( 4 stroke), J6RL4SRC ( 4 stroke, long shaft)

L in the number denotes long shaft,.4 in the number denotes 4 stroke.

Full explanation and model number list at http://shop.evinrude.com/media/document/ModelNumberReference.pdf
Official parts lists at http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=9319af12-b0ff-4a13-a462-dea14c3d494d

If you look at your engine it should be pretty obvious whether it the 2 stroke or the 4 stroke.
The 4 stroke is a single cylinder engine with an oil reservoir with a filler cap and dipstick and a belt driven camshaft.
The 2 stroke is a 2 cylinder engine.

You say you changed the engine lubricating oil .... therefore it must be a 4 stroke ! For some reason it must have the wrong model number on it... maybe someone has switched the transom bracket c/w ID plate. ?????

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes that is the 4 stroke model. -------That model # should have a 4 in it as already stated.

Last edited:

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
Bucket works with prop removed. Any ideas about how the water is routed thru this thing?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You will likely ignore this tip.-----But water in your bucket MUST be 6" above the pump as already stated.------Water just covering the intakes is not good enough !!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Bucket works with prop removed. Any ideas about how the water is routed thru this thing?

Have you tried flushing the cooling system with a hose connected to the flushing port, as described in the owners manual

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
I’ll get a bigger trash can, but i did run around in the lake and its not movin water. I havent flushed it because I dont have an adaptor, but that’ll have to be next i guess

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
When you were out on the lake was the motor getting hot? Have you checked to see if the water indicator tube is blocked?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Was it the same boat through all of this?
i.e. same transom depth?

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer
I ran it about three minutes at a time, then sat for 15 to 20 with the cowl off so I could touch on th head and bottom end - I could leave my hand pn it for 6 to 8 seconds. I don't worry that it got too hot, but I didn't want to take a chance on it warming up and keepin right on to a Chernobyl situation. And yes, it was the same boat. What little I can see of the passages thru the vermostat housing gas no corrosion in it, so being a littoral zone guy, I figure I've prolly picked up some piece of weed or somethin, I just don't know where to look for it. I ran a piece of bailing wire about 6" up the pee hole........

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It sure sounds like the telltale has a blockage.-----Sounds like the thermostat is working just fine.