j200 wont start

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer
Re: j200 wont start

I just read this thread and I'm glad you finally figured out your problem! It sure sucks that you spent all that time and money (not necessarily in that order either!) just to figure that out though. You really should buy a factory manual for this motor now though, if you don't already have one. The key switch test is one of the first things it points you to do when you have a loss of spark.

Don't take this the wrong way, please! I spent a lot of time and effort chasing down an intermittent spark problem in my '89 150 Evinrude. At the time, I "only" had a Clymer manual. Unfortunately for me, my problem wasn't the key switch but a bad timer base and power pack. Now I have a factory manual and it is a lot better than the Clymer. Happy boating!

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You're right Astro, the big red plug is the best way because it isolates all of the wiring in the boat.
I wasn't sure if the 1995 had one, I'm use to working on my much older Evinrudes.
Glad I could point you in the right direction.
It pays to not give up!
Thanks for posting the results.
Side note: That faulty ignition switch can cause power packs to go bad when battery voltage leaks in to the kill circuit.

astropluto

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the advice farginicehole2, I have the clymer manual. I did do the time before money. At least I have a spare part or two.
Tom, I had a Johnson Guy come over, so esentialy I gave up. in 15 minutes he was done. I whent for a ride through the neiborhood just for fun.
Don't worry though my problems are not over. I will start a new thead though.