J200 - Damaged Crankshaft/Flywheel Nut Threads

tentantoes

Recruit
I need to buy a large die to chase/repair threads on the crankshaft but can’t find the size and thread pitch anywhere online, would someone here happen to know it? This is on a 1996 J200TXEDR. I can buy a new nut, part# 0326042, but I don’t have a way to measure it outside of taking it to a machine shop and asking for help, which it may come to. Thanks for your time.

tentantoes

Recruit
I think may be slightly mushroomed but I’m not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_4007.jpeg
    IMG_4007.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4011.jpeg
    IMG_4011.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

tphoyt

Ensign
I’d clean them up with a triangle file and call it good but that’s just me
Best

airshot

Rear Admiral
Looks like someone pounded on the end...any machine shop should have a thread pitch gage to measure it for you. Actually they are not expensive, you might buy your own to have one on hand.

tentantoes

Recruit
Thanks for your input all. My concern is I can’t get the nut on. I’ll go ahead and order a new one in case that‘s the issue, and a thread gauge actually sounds like a tool I would use fairly regularly. Thanks so much.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Here is my approach.-----Buy a nut.----Split the nut.---Hold the 2 halves on the crank with a hose clamp.----Use some diamond compound and lap the threads/-----Clean threads and try a new nut.----Repeat as needed.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Sounds like to much work, once you get the correct thread size buy a threading die, not very expensive and just chase the existing threads.
A thread pitch gage and a threading die together will give you change from a 20 dollar bill.