Its officially winter when...

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
The ice in the morning on the porch is a 1/2 inch high. Brrr! <br />We're putting a big dent in the big pile of firewood we cut up this summer.<br /><br />When is it officially winter where you are?<br />Bassy

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Its officially winter when...

You burning it in a fireplace, Bassy, or a woodstove/insert? <br /><br />We've been burning, now for about 3 weeks. We start when nighttime temps hit the mid 40's. We are right at freezing now. We'll wake up to everything being frosty white.<br /><br />Usually we would have more rain by now. We're at 2/5's of the ten year November average, which is ok by this ole' Pine Flat veteran.

Link

Rear Admiral

Same as Boomyal Bassy<br />Although Vancouver/Portlad usually get about ten degrees colder in the winter and warmer in the summer

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Standing Woodstove. We've been burning all day for the last 3 days and burning after the sun goes down for about a month. Supposed to get as low as 16 tonight with a high of 50 tomorrow. Brr! Supposed to get rain this Saturday and with these freezing temps. we may get some of that white stuff. Haven't had any since 3 years ago. I'd like that. Nowhere to go Sunday. Perfect! <br /> No pipes bursting here. Got them wrapped good. Neighbors are bursting some though. Sorry situation when you don't winterize properly. You ever wake up in the morning and have no water because the pipes are frozen? Been there, done that. But learned to wrap them suckers right and no more problems with water.<br />Glad to hear some of you out there are getting some cool weather too. I'm in good company.<br />Bassy

spratt

Lieutenant

Our fireplace is going periodically, also...but the miracle is, the logs ain't burnin' up a'tall...maybe that's cuz it is a GAS farplace:) Looks all purty, puts out a lot of heat, so clean it makes me smile...gone are the ol' log burnin' daze...but I DO miss the smell of burning wood...love that aroma:)

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

for us, when I pound in the drives edge marker stakes for the snow plow guy.

NYMINUTE

Captain

22.gif
When I winterize the mowers. Now its WINTER Ugh.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I move all the stuff (paint,glue,caulk etc.) out of the pole barn into the basement. That was 4 days ago.

gaugeguy

Captain

When I make my first pass with the plow :( <br /><br />It's been relatively mild so far, only had to fire up the woodstove a couple times.

one more cast

Captain

Its officially winter when... You click on my SNO-CAM and see white.

ehenry

Commander

Its just now starting to get cool here. Turned my heat on for the first time this morning!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Around here, when you no longer get hot water from both faucets it is WINTER!

ndemge

Commander

LOL@JB<br /><br />Here in st. louis.... We can get all 4 seasons in one day.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Last couple days here in Reno/Tahoe have been record-setting cold. We got about a foot of snow (which is a lot for the valley floor) on Saturday and most of it is still here. It's looking to be a great ski season!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

been burning wood for a month or so ... I'd rather spend a few days cutting and splitting wood than the thousands it could cost in gas bills for heating this place.<br /><br />IMO - its winter here when the windows and patio door are shut all the time.

spratt

Lieutenant

OMC gots a farplace in his front yard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one more cast

Captain

No Spratt, that sno-cam is at a motel in Old Forge NY a little NE of me.

Drowned Rat

Captain

In Phoenix, when your air conditioning bill falls below $100, it's Winter.

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its really winter when we need snow tires and no body needs direction where to get Studs for thier tires.

sangerwaker

Commander

It's winter for me when I start to think about spring! Usually right after the lakes here freeze over. Like right about ...NOW :mad: