its been a sad time the past few weeks.

stresspoint

Ensign
shifting house and 30years of collectable boat motors and parts went to scrap metal pile ( pics to come)..
not dealing with it too well ,it makes me sad when i look at that pile with all that history heading off to scrap in the next weeks,
i could not keep it due to limited storage on new property (down sizing),
people wanted for nothing or attempted tp cherry pick when i advertised ,so days were wasted dealing with idiots , decision was made to scrap it due to time constraints..

how do others cope when or if they have to go through this , so much history wasted away>>>

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
shifting house and 30years of collectable boat motors and parts went to scrap metal pile ( pics to come)..
not dealing with it too well ,it makes me sad when i look at that pile with all that history heading off to scrap in the next weeks,
i could not keep it due to limited storage on new property (down sizing
people wanted for nothing or attempted tp cherry pick when i advertised ,so days were wasted dealing with idiots , decision was made to scrap it due to time constraints..

how do others cope when or if they have to go through this , so much history wasted away>>>
Pretty much doing the same here.

You have to get past being sentimental and look at things as the old, outdated objects they really are. If they were truly historical pieces, you would have no problem getting top dollar

At this point, it’s easier to give away to “idiots” than haul to scrape

stresspoint

Ensign
Pretty much doing the same here.

You have to get past being sentimental and look at things as the old, outdated objects they really are. If they were truly historical pieces, you would have no problem getting top dollar

At this point, it’s easier to give away to “idiots” than haul to scrape
problem with giving away to idiots is i don't have hours of day to spend talking shyt ,
like for example , one bloke comes , i spend a good hour talking , he wanted a pull starter for a older 25 Evinrude , so after a long drawn out search , i found the one he needed , then he pizzed and moaned because it was scratched up bit ,"" still worked just fine ", so i threw it to the scrap pile and smashed a leg off it , said now its scratched and went about what i was doing when he arrived.

yea i see the point sentiment aside and just call it old crap that no one really wants.

good thing is all we do here is call the scrappers and they come with a couple of blokes and a truck and take the pile.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I know the feeling.-------Few folks want old stuff.-----Those that do have lots of it already and will take it if free.

flashback

Captain
pack rat, hoarding, its a disease. I've got it bad. you just have to take the first step and then after the stuff is gone you feel free again.

stresspoint

Ensign
it amazed me how much i accumulated in the sheds over 30 odd years here doing all sorts of projects ( cars , bikes , boats , trucks , house renovation, you name it , lots / most of it now on the scrap pile or the skip bin pile.
every project had some reminder in a box or on a shelf.
still have the big shed to do next week but that has mostly only competed projects which will be fostered out to those that will look after them till i am settled at the new place..
so many tools too , something for everything , i don't know what to do there as far as they go ?? any ideas !.

getting the lung cancer and having surgery to chop it out basically meant no more projects for me, so decision was made to tone things down for my future health, no doubt i will still tinker , and help others out with there projects as i am not one to sit and do nothing.
sounds a bit wired , but ,my down sizing is in reality up sizing as i am moving from the city to a large property out in the country with a small cottage that needs restoration, i will be contracting most of the work if i can bring myself to do that :) ,its away from the Hussle and bussle of city life which is what i need at this point so i will be more relaxed ????..

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
My wife is pretty much dissabled, I have been retired for 6 years, we are downsizing and getting rid if stuff, but not much junk. Just stuff we can't/ don't use anymore. Much is still in good condition but folks expect you to give it away.. Well you no longer want it so why should I pay anything for it ?
Very depressing thinking it might be usefull later on, but realizing you haven't used it in years.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Every Winter I go thru the house and pick stuff that was not used in awhile. Throw it in the back of the car and off to the Salvation Army. St. Jude and the SA are the most worthy causes around.

For boat related stuff, a curb alert on Marketplace and it'll be gone in a few hours. Alternately, an ad on the AOMCI web site and then you'll know it goes to a worthy bunch of good guys.

I stopped selling stuff because it's too much of a hassle for the pittance you get back.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Every Winter I go thru the house and pick stuff that was not used in awhile. Throw it in the back of the car and off to the Salvation Army. St. Jude and the SA are the most worthy causes around.

For boat related stuff, a curb alert on Marketplace and it'll be gone in a few hours. Alternately, an ad on the AOMCI web site and then you'll know it goes to a worthy bunch of good guys.

I stopped selling stuff because it's too much of a hassle for the pittance you get back.
I have neighbors with younger boys/ men that are getting into fishing and boating. I have given them quite a bit of boating stuff I don't use anymore. Fishing rods and reels, couple MK trolling motors, deep cycle batteries, my old ice fishing gear, but we haven't had fish able ice in a looong time so that might be useless..

tphoyt

Ensign
I have no good advice here as I’m a packrat of the highest order. I know my day will come though and I’ll be in the same boat.
I do give stuff away all the time if I haven’t used it in awhile. As for the tools do you have a vocational school or high school with mechanical programs? When I was a kid a guy showed up one day with a truck load of tools and offered them to the student’s to start their collection.
I still have the Starrett calipers I got from him and use them all the time.
Best