It's been a hot one, help!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: It's been a hot one, help!

Radar, thanks for posting. The filter is new and clean. I am aware what a dirty filter can do to the amp draw on the motor and the subsequent decreased lifespan of that motor. No furnature moved and the house was actully built in 1991. I bought it last Jan and made the warranty a condition of sale. (I had the seller buy it)<br /><br />It is my understanding that reverse rotation on blades will get you about 40% of actual potential. This is about what I am getting out of the vents. I am afraid to touch the unit and voiding my coverage. These guys are nuts about technicalities. I do not smell any burning odors around the unit. I don't see any secondary filter's but that may be something I am not seeing. The vaccum on the lower door is not there. The unit is original to the house and is a Bryant.<br /><br />Is there any other information I can provide I am watching this tread frequently.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I had something very simular in my house.Simply replacing the filters and replacing the water drain from the unit did miracles.As it turned out,the water had nowhere to go and it stayed in the radiator unit of the AC where it froze onto the dust already gathered there.I took a garden hose and washed out the radiator thereby freeing up the airflow.then i took care of the condense water drainage pipe which was clogged and I ended up with a fine AC unit

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

rolmops, are you referring to the radiator outside. Did you just wash the outside or did you blow from the inside out?<br /><br />The entire drain system was replaced on Friday. I would hope it is working correctly. But who knows with this contractor.<br /><br />thanks, pointer

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I referred to the radiator where the air is pushed through and becomes cold.It is a good idea to also make sure that the outside one is clean.<br />In my case the water drainage hose had been caught between two pieces of metal during maintenance.This caused backing up of water into the radiator,where it froze and clogged everything.<br />Make sure that air can make it to the fan and that it comes out on the other side.It is like anything else.Check things one by one until you pinpoint your point where the airflow is blocked and start by checking if the air can actually make it to the fan.Easiest way to do that is by opening up the airfilter box and leaving it open.If you have airflow in your system now,that means you have an air return problem or just dirty filters that need replacement.If that makes no difference than you have an outflow problem and you have a blockage somewhere very close to your fan on the outlet side.<br />Good luck.

radar750

Seaman

Hey Point, how you making out? What did you check and what did you find out. Did you run it on heat,if so what happened? Check this for me, is your thermostat a combo heat/cool meaning you use the same one for heating and cooling. If so you it should give you the option of heat, cool,and off. Is there another selector that might say Fan on or fan auto.If you have thoses choices switch selector to off and fan to on and depending on the wiring the fan should run and just blow air.What I am trying to get you to do is run the fan with heat on, then with cooling on and just fan with neither hot or cold and compare any differences in the amount of air that is blowing.<br />It would really help if you would pull of the door and run it so you can see and feel inside.If you can touch the blower motor after is is trying to run to see if it is hot and over heating.Even if it over heats it should blow full for a short time. Let me know

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Radar,<br /><br />I left it off all night with the blower on. In the morning I turned it back on and guess what she is holding the temp in here around 77 degrees while it is 87 outside. Water is draining out of the tube and the lines are not freezing up. Granted I have it set at 72 but this is a real improvement. Sleep is on the way. I still don't think that it is blowing near enough but it is easily livable in here. I have had the unit on for about 9 hrs. now and things are working fine. <br /><br />I will say the vents next to the furnace in the basement are blowing tons while the vents upstairs are blowing about 1/3 of that (66% drop)and the upstairs are about 1/5 of the basement.<br /><br />I believe that the fan should kick out on thermal overload, and that has not occured. I will take a run to blower and report back.<br /><br />Thanks, Pointer.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Great,you have half the battle won.<br />You may want the AC guy to come over and check the pressure difference on the high and low end of the coolant circuit.It almost sounds like there might not be enough pressure difference,which prevents the system from operating properly.The ducts may need some cleaning too.<br />A few years ago there was a motel here where one of the rooms always had a cooling problem.They could not figure out what it was.Then they demolished the motel to make way for a rite-aid.One of the guys was ripping the ducts out when an envelop with $15000 in it fell out of the duct of that room.It was probably drug money.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Pointer <br /><br />Glad to hear your still makin headway. A little kool is better than no kool. :cool: <br /><br />Just dont let it frost up.<br /><br />If the compressor has benn running non stop all day, once it gets dark I would turn the compressor off again (but leave the fan running) for an hour or so just to let the refridgerent settle down and possibly thaw any frosting that may have started. A good sign that frost has thawed, will be a lack of condensation.Should get you thru the night. ;)

Twidget

Commander

How is the cooling battle going Pointer?<br /><br />This may sound nuts, but try misting water over the compressor radiator fins. My moms was low on coolant and the AC company told her to do that as a temporary fix til they could get there. It worked pretty well.