It's been a hot one, help!

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
I live here in Wisconsin and I purchased a home that came with a home warranty. Well its been a summer to try my patience, with boat, truck, lawn mower, trees, etc problems, but by far the worst has been no air conditioning all summer. <br /><br />The a/c guy was here yesterday for the third time and replaced the a-coil. It looks like a hack job. He used blobs of this clay stuff to fill around the piping and this silver tape to seal up the tin replacement panel. Guess what? Nothing is coming out of the vents. I can hear the blower running but nothing is coming out of the vents. Ice has formed around the copper lines and water is dripping around the furnace in the basement. I was approved by the insurance company for overtime to get this fixed and a call was placed but no call back 6 hrs later. With the bedrooms on the 2nd floor, it gets so hot I can't sleep, and that makes me cranky. I don't want to be cranky. Ann has the bed surrounded with three fans to try to cool off the room. Ain't workin'.<br /><br />This little adventure began in May. What would you do? Demand a new contractor even though the insurance insists on using this group? Should it take multiple trips to make a unit work? Am I missing something?<br /><br />Feedback appreciated.<br /><br />Pointer

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: It's been a hot one, help!

Sounds like what you are missing is quality service, Pointer. :( <br /><br />Get after the Ins. Co. to get an effective contractor in there.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB is right. Get on the insurance company and make them get someone out NOW. Ask for a manager and call often. You pay for service - so they should do their job.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pointer,<br /><br />Although I do not like the sounds of the way he tried to insulate, it may be something as simple as opening a duct in the airway. If the blower is running and nothing is coming out, go back into the basement and follow all of your ductwork in hopes of finding a little silver handle that opens and closes the duct work. My guess would be that if you are not getting any air throughout the house, the vent will be very close the the AC unit. Probably in the ductwork directly above it. If you have already tried this, the squeekiest wheel gets oiled first.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />John

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The handle should be parallel to the airway.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hey thanks John, it tickled out this morning (when it was 71 degrees) and now there is nothing at all. I did go down and look for the handle but there doesn't seem to be one. There is little jets of air coming out where the furnace meets the ductwork so I know the blower is working but I can literly put a feather on the floor vent in the living room without movement. I guess my installation doesn't have the isolation handle you referred to.<br /><br />I have been plenty queeky as I have called three times today and got the old "My manager isn't here right now we will call you Monday" as the final result cuz their contractor won't answer the phone. I have done everything but demand a different contractor. I work with contractors and I know how a troublesome unit (pumps) can frequently be difficult to find the problem with, so I haven't said anything truely disparaging about this contractor. But this is about it. Four strikes and your out. <br /><br />I have to say the guy that keeps showing up is nice enough and I don't want to get him in trouble, but it has been hot as he!! this summer. Toss in I have to be gone all week next week and Ann is going to her parents for a few days so there will be nobody here after monday night. Ann will be gone tues-thurs. I just can't take another weekend in the basement or on the couch. grrrrr.<br /><br />JB you are right on. I do not know alot about HVAC but this job looks shotty. Without any background in the product I am always resistant to question someones craftsmanship. I REALLY WANT SOMEONE ELSE TO COME HERE.<br /><br />Thanks John for the response and I am open to any and all ideas that might assist this challenged contractor. Like a big hammer to the head.. ha ha.

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

Were you there during the winter? did it blow heat? If it did and you're getting no air flow throught the registers I would guess a broken belt to the fan or a broken shaft, if shaft driven. The compressor is obviously working if you have ice and dripping water.<br /><br />I would get another hvac contractor in there (one with a good rep) and pay him what he needs to find the problem. then go to the insurance outfit with his report and tell them to take care of it. There are hvac contractors out there with no clue about hvac.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can always get an attorney to call and ask why you shouldn't sue them for failing to meet your contract.<br /><br />That has been known to get people scrambling.<br /><br />Had an Olds Diesel (horror story) that croaked and the service contract folks kept waffling about fixing it. (The fix was about $4500 and the car would have been worth about $2400 fixed)<br /><br />After my attorney called they bought me out of the contract and I kept the car (long enough to tow it to the Mercedes dealer and trade it in). Busted car plus the payout got me a nice used MB 240D.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

JB, I am right there after this next effort. I am loathe to have lawyers solve my problems but like your case, if it is the avenue of last resort, bombs away. I would like to give people the chance to fix their mistakes but looking at the installation of the a-coil, the number of visits it has taken to get nowhere, and the patch job, I am seriously concerned about their ability to do a good, quality, long term repair. <br /><br />Bass Man, the winter operation was just fine. It blew the drapes and heated the home effectively and evenly. (Blowing drapes not what wife wanted but indicates a strong fan) I can feel strong jets of air blowing out of the cracks between the blower and the connection to the duct work. I have to assume that means the fan is working but there is a clog in the a-coil just above where the air is blowing out. But I have no expertise in HVAC and I hate it when someone tries to tell an expert what to do. (I worked in a boatyard for 4 years, you just wouldn't believe some things I was told by people with no clue.)<br /><br />As the evening approaches and it is 83 downstairs and lots warmer upstairs, my anger grows but I know that nothing is going to happen until Monday. !@#$%^&*@#%%#!!!!!!<br /><br />Thanks for listening. I just can't understand how tough this can be.

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No vent in in the ductwork is surprising. Sorry I was of no help.<br /><br />With the heat we have been having up until Thursday, their lines would have been ringing continuously. You must be much more patient than myself, giving four strikes that is. One strike and I am bringing in the pinch hitter.<br /><br />John

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Pointer <br /><br />Did the system work immediately after repair?<br /><br />If you turn the system off and let it thaw out, will the air then blow through the vents?<br /><br />It will freeze-up due to a low refridgerent charge. As the A-coil ices up the air flow will be restricted.<br /><br />If fully charged it will also freeze-up due to lack of air flow across A-coil. ie. dirty filter, fan running backwards, fan speed to slow, outlet vents closed ect.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I have been without work before and I would describe it as life changing, so I don't go head hunting until I have to. If this guy is weak technically, I have to give him a chance to fix his mistakes. I can't be responsible for getting someone fired it is just to tramadic in my opinion. The contractor has been fairly responsive but don't have any parts in stock so every time they come out it is one week to get parts and one week or more to set a time for the tech to come over. The did drill me another 75 bucks deductible claiming this is another problem other than the first two times they came out. Smells like dog sheet to me. This whole deal is on my home warranty. Patience has run out and it better get fixed right this time.<br /><br />Yes, the system did work but the flow seemed restricted. As noted in an above post the drapes blew somewhat dramitically in the winter when the furnace was on and I would have to say that the unit blew maybe half that amount when the system was first started. But it blew cold. Within 8 hrs. there was nothing coming out of the vents, even out of the basement vent not 9 feet from the blower. The drain tube has stopped draining water and ice formed on one of the copper lines. <br /><br />The unit is running but nothing is happening. I am just getting warmer. See I am still awake. I have tried to thaw the system for about 3 hrs but little or no improvement resulted. The tech claimed to set the system up on the high (1750 rpm) setting. He also commented that the flow seemed light but couldn't find anything that would create a reduced flow other than a dirty fan????? Sounds weak to me. I assume that it is difficult to wire a single phase motor in reverse but who knows. My pump motors don't have that capability until three hp.<br /><br />If there are anymore questions I can answer just ask, like I said I have little or no confidence in this tech.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

If the system is still on, I would recommend turning the compressor unit off and leave just the fan running. This will assist in thawing the A-coil. Once thae A-coil thaws you should get air flow back through the vents again (could take a feeww hours). The air wont be cold but maybe it will circulate some air around the house. Any air movement is better than none.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Just a thought here Pointer, Could be that the fan has slipped on the shaft of the motor, hence the sound of the fan running. Kinda like a spun hub on an outboard. Also if the drain is not draining, there maybe a blockage in the drain causing your problem. I'm no HVAC man, but these are situations that have hit me before. <br /><br />Heck 83 degrees, I'd have to get on a sweater! ;) Just kidding really, I know how it is to be without the air.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

a/c is off and the fan is on. I will fire her up tommorrow morning.<br /><br />thanks, pointer

Stratosfied

Ensign

Now with the AC off and only the fan running, do you have a flow through the vents?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

I will fire her up tommorrow morning.
Its already tomorrow morning, but wait till daylight anyway. :D <br /><br />If the fan does not blow thru the vents by daylight I would say there is some kind of physical restriction in the vent system.<br /><br />If it is blowing thru the vents, turn the A/C on and you may find that you get sooooome cool air, if you do be sure to keep a close eye on the copper lines nearest the A-coil. If they start to freeze, turn off the A/C again, but leave the fan running till it thaws again. Repeat through out the day and it may take the temp down a few degrees. <br /><br />If it doesnt (when you turn it on) blow any cool/cold air in the morning I would say turn the A/C off and just use the fan (if its blowing). By running the compressor when the system is frozen you could cause the compressor to fail. Then its another 75.00 deductable, because its a different problem than the previous. <br /><br /> GOOD LUCK POINTER

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I am up and the a/c is on and yes now there is some air moving through the vents. Not a ton but some. I will follow the regiment you outlined and try to keep it defrosted. Thanks all for your insights. I got a nice nap last night. <br /><br />I guess it is just freezing up and restricting but why would a new installation do this? When I turned off the a/c and ran fan only, no I did not have any air coming out the vents (about 1am). I took a look this morning and yes water is flowing down the drain tube now.<br /><br />The saga continues.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Sounds like you need a window air unit. :D Hope you get it fixed and get cool.!

radar750

Seaman

I know this may sound dumb but have you checked your air filter. try running it without the filter in, some filters are very restrictive.<br />You say they replaced the A coil, there are usually very few problems with a coil, some but not many. Usually they get plugged so bad no or not enough air goes through them. This is mostly caused by not having a filter. Most frozen coils are due to lack of air flow over them. They can be plugged,dirty air filter,every now and then there is a second airfilter somebody forget about or did not know was there.Improper referigerant charge will also freeze the coil. You can also speed up thawing a frozen coil by running the heat for short bursts, this however may melt it faster than it can drain and can be messey.<br />A frozen coil can take many hours,sometimes overnight to thaw. When you know it is thawed turn you unit to heat and compare air flow to when it is in AC. I assume this is a new house to you because you have a warranty but it may have been a problem before you came. Heat is forgiving and will find its way up but AC is not. If the duct work is too small the AC will not work properly. It is unlikely a restriction or something blocking the duct work just appeared. If you are belt driven it may be slipping but you would probabally be getting a burning smell if it was.It is very easy to reverse direction of a belt drive motor but unless someone swicthed some wires it is not likely. A direct drive blower may be spinning on the shaft but usually they dont in fact the are usually down right impossible to get off the shaft to when you want to replace it.If you open the blower compartment door and turn on the unit you should be able to get a good look and feel if it is working. There may be a door switch you have to hold in in order to run the blower with the door open. You should feel a good suction trying to pull the door back in. You know I just thought of this, could your return in the house be blocked. have you moved any rugs or furniture around. Check out this stuff and I will check back later.