It started

Yote

Cadet
Yesterday me and my son dug the boat out of the snow snow bank, for a little midwinter checkup. Put some stabil in the tank with some fresh gas, and fired it up. Let it run for about a half hour or so and get hot. I hope this will prevent any problems this spring. Anybody else do this type of thing?

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: It started

Cool that it started...Do you not winterize? I just let mine go till late march...early April depending on the weather. Do you have an outboard or I/O?

Yote

Cadet

i should have put that on my post! I have a 200EFI Mercury outboard. The only winterization i do is just what i explaned. I do cover everything and keep the motor down where it wont hold any water,

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i know a few outboard owners that do the same but with newer outboard that auto drain, but they all also fog the engine

NFA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got a 150 Optimax. At the end of the season I park it, leave the engine down all the way in order to drain any leftover water. I never start it during the winter.

I also keep the tank full of fuel in order to prevent any condensation from forming. It's also nice having a full tank to start the season. :)

That's pretty much it for me. With my past engines, I used to drain the fuel lines.

When the season starts up this year, I'll swap out the spark plugs. I think that's about it.

crem1

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should put gas stabilizer in the tank

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Fogging the engine is something that's recommended. There is always the possibility that moisture will form in the cylinders and could cause corrosion.

Your engine might start fine next season but the initial startup could take a toll on the engines expected lifetime. If you don't do it before you store it, you should at least do it before the first start.

Putting Marine Stabil in the fuel is prudent. Running the engine to ensure the Stabil is in the fuel that's in the carb bowls is smart.

Running the engine out of gas prior to storage has different opinions. I prefer to leave the bowls full with Stabil gas in them rather than draining them and letting everything dry out.

As for draining the engine of water. Keep the bow high, the trim down and you shouldn't have any problems.

DuckOfDeath

Seaman

I just add Stabil or Seafoam to the gas the last trip out and drain/fill the lower unit. I've never worried about condenstation in my cylinders causing damage before reading this thread. I'm still not concerned enough to do anything different. Mine only sits idle for about 3 months. I know people who's rigs sit idle longer between uses during peek season than mine does over Winter.