It snowed in Baytown! (UPDATE)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
For about 10 minutes. With a total of about 50 flakes.<br /><br />But still, its very rare to see that here in Houston/Baytown.<br /><br />Made my Christmas eve.<br /><br />EDIT: See below<br /><br />Ken

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: It snowed in Baytown! (UPDATE)

Snow is rare in my area also. I'm about 170 miles North of you straight up 45. We just came back from the farm feeding. I have a very shallow pond that is maybe 8 inches deep. Around the edges its only an inch or two. My 2 yo (She'll be 3 Monday) was skating around on the edges having a blast. She had never seen ice in nature. That is till she fell. "Thats not funny dada!" I am hoping we get some snow this year.<br /><br /><br />I'll be down your way Monday Ken. Gonna be in Pasadena and City of South Houston with the relatives for a few days.

SoulWinner

Commander

It has been sleeting here on and off all day. The last time we had snow was Christmas eve 1994. It snowed about 4" then. I have been hoping for some real snow; that is one thing I do miss about Kansas.

LadyFish

Admiral

Hey Ken, we have 5-6 inches still on the ground from last night here on the island.<br /><br />The palm trees look rather strange all covered in snow. It should be an interesting drive to my daughter's this morning, the roads are still covered.<br /><br />Yesterday afternoon is was freezing rain, sleet and hail. Last night it finally starting snowing HUGE flakes the size of quarters.<br /><br />Our neighbors kids were outside making snowballs and screaming with delight. I plan on throwing a few myself this morning. :) <br /><br />Merry Christmas Y'all!<br />
loanx-tree_e0.gif

bubbakat

Captain

On christmas eve night at around 8 pm my MIL called from corpus christie and said it was snowing there. We have had snow and ice on the ground for three days now and down in the single digit temps. Well it is gonna get to 41 today which is christmas and that is a heat wave.<br />BTW santa was very good to me this year. :D

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

First white Christmas ever here....We had about 2-3" on the ground last night. It snowed off an on lightly during the day at my moms....Glad we got home....then about 11pm last night, it really started coming down (at least for us it was really coming down :D )<br /><br />Took some pics, but all is starting to melt now.<br /><br />still can't believe it snowed on Christmas.

KaGee

Admiral

In case any of you want to complain.... I'll trade ya!<br /><br />Right now it's under 10* outside and we still got all the white stuff from 2 days ago.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

It was a Christmas Miracle. Wow is really started coming down at about 10 pm. We were outside making snowmen, snow angels, and snowball fights. The 8 yr old and 2 yr old loved it. It was the best present of them all.<br /><br />Incredibly rare for down here, and never before on Christmas.<br /><br />Now its Christmas evening, and all is melted.<br /><br />I honestly expect to be wearing shorts on Monday!<br /><br />Ken

ob

Admiral

Left San Antonio in route to Corpus at 8pm Friday and got about 20 miles heading south on I37 before we saw the first flakes.<br /><br />100 miles and 6 hours later we returned to Corpus after driving in the snow.Would have dumped off at the halfway point in Oakville but literally couldn't find the exit ramp.<br /><br />Most of the vehicles we were traveling with ended up bailing out and stopped to the side of the road,or what they thought was the side anyway.Several minor accidents.Us and two other vehicles took turns running lead in one lane(path) for the 100 or so miles at an average of 18 mph.Some of the cars that stopped before we passed were buried up to the door windows along the all white roadway.We were driving on at least 8" of packed dry snow for much of the way.<br /><br />Finally got in to Corpus at around 2:30 am.6" at the house when we arrived.A beautiful and very rare white Christmas here.Still have snow in the yard and rooftop.Strange weather.It's forcasted to be 23 degrees tonight in Corpus and 10 degrees warmer 130 miles north in San Antonio.That also is a rarity.The wife and I actually made a genuine snowman in the yard this morning as did many others.Last time I saw any white stuff on the ground in Corpus that bared mention , I wore PF Fliers.This snow episode shattered any previous on record.Pretty fun for a lot of folks on Cristmas morning.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Wow ob, great story. Glad you made it OK.<br /><br />It really was weird weather down south being colder than up here. The newspaper had 14 inches of snow in some places. Amazing.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

Weather is absolutely facinating. It makes you feel just how minisciule you are in relation to the world. A real wake up call, IMHO.<br /><br />Glad you're OK. Kinda neat playin' in the snow, if you're not used to it.

ob

Admiral

Thanks for the kind words Ken and DJ.If it weren't for my wife and daughter helping decide what the best track to follow was,I don't think I would have continued alone.For about a 25 mile stretch there were no cars in sight except the ones pulled over and drifted in.That option didn't seem too inviting to a south Texas boy,so we kept tredging along.Hat's off to the wifes little Subaru.<br /><br />Glad to hear you and your kiddos had a wonderful time in the snow for Christmas.They'll be fond memeories in the future.Hope you got some pics or video.<br /><br />Did'nt realize you lived in Baytown Ken.I lived in Houston back in the late seventies and commuted to work in Baytown as an iron worker during my Brown and Root days at the Exxon Plant.Worked on the Shell plant in Deer Park before that one.Those were the wife and my "good ole days."

LadyFish

Admiral

Well we had our first white Christmas in many, many years. We got over 4-5" of snow over Christmas Eve and its still on the ground. The kids loved it. They got to build their first snowman and of course I had to show them how to make a proper snowball and throw it. Even the adults were acting like kids again.<br /><br />Seeing snow on catus' and palm trees could only be a welcome site during the Christmas holidays.<br /><br />
attachment.php
<br />
attachment.php

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

The TV news said that the last snow in Galveston was 109 years ago.<br /><br />Is it true that the Gulf of Mexico froze so solid you could walk to the mainland?<br /><br /> :) merry Christmas!

LadyFish

Admiral

This picture was taken in front of the San Luis <br />Hotel on the Seawall Christmas Day.<br />
12-25-sanluis-snow.jpg
<br /><br />We still have a little snow on the ground and our deck. It should all be melted by days end. The forecast for New Year's Eve is 81 degrees and on New Year's Day 83.<br /><br />When I called my family back in Upstate New York they couldn't believe we had snow and they didn't. This was a Christmas us Islander's will remember for a very long time. :) <br /><br />I guess when it warms back up I will find out if my hibiscus, palms, and cacti survived it.

KennyKenCan

Commander

To all of you who never get snow...<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />^<br />WELCOME TO WINTER

bubbakat

Captain

Glad you guys got it and I didn't get much of it. I see enough of that stuff as it is. I can do without it. Its fun to see and play in but it is awful to work in. Good pixs though glad youse guys and gals down south west had it.<br />My BIL in houston said it was the first time his wife had ever saw snow in person.