It followed me home honey, can I keep it.... PLEASE.. PLEASE

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, this is the latest Facebook Marketplace find. 1995 Four Winns 170. 4.3 VolvoCobra drive. Floors are SOLID ( I stomptested them, and no signs of flexing or strange noises, Ill core sample later). Needs a fuel pump, maybe a starter and a battery (starter just clicked this morning, but we were using jumper cables... it bars over easy, so its not stuck). Also came with a pair of jetskis that I still need to pick up, but thats for another weekend, as they are 300 miles away (so was the boat, but I cant tow tandems....) They will need a bit more work, the engines are in need of some love.... total buy in $1000.... I didnt figure I could go wrong at that price.

Plan is to do the fuel pump, check the starter (that is gonna be FUN..... :( ) and replace all the consumables. Its been off the water since 2017, so not nearly as long as my other boat. This one at least has a sun pad for the wife, and an integrated swim platform for the kid.... and being a bit more gutsy, should pull a tube nicely....
image0 (75).jpegimage1 (59).jpegimage2 (42).jpeg

ScottinAZ

Good find, fist thing is rebuild the the drive cylinders
I need to check them first. I put the strap on there as a safety, as I didnt want to chance dragging the drive 300 miles home..... I usually use trailering clips, I dont trust 30+ year old hydraulics to not fail at an inopportune moment......

ScottinAZ

Are you versed in that, aka the Hastings muse? Very important.

not yet.... I have a full set of manuals on the way for the boat, but they wont be here until late next week. Until then, its "fake it til you make it".... but the known issues are pretty common.... like a starter that just "clicks" and a fuel pump that has conked out (that will be a week to get parts for anyways"... I plan on checking for power to the pump, but again, thats a pretty universal thing to be able to do. The control cables are stiff as hell, so I will wait until the manuals show up before I tackle those... adjustments and all you dont want screwed up....

this is also a CONFIRMED Volvo era Cobra drive, so thankfully (from what I hear and understand) they are nearly indestructable. Just a few "quirks" that you need to know about and work with....

ScottinAZ

Good find, fist thing is rebuild the the drive cylinders
put the battery from the other boat in this morning, and checked the trim.... Drive goes up and down with no issues, and no apparent leaks/leakdown, so that is a winner in my book. I still dont trust the cylinders to keep the drive up when going down the road, so a set of trailering clips is on the way. Cheap insurance IMHO.

ScottinAZ

checked the shift cable by disconnecting.... The shifter on the drive works beautifully.... the cable however is stiff as hell.... so its wrecked. Time to pull that out and see how long I need one.... And So It Begins..... :D

I will say this..... Volvo have a GREAT system for checking the shifter, its right behind the trim cover, so easily accessible. Unlike its black painted brethren that are a right royal pain in the ass to change and adjust (mostly adjust PROPERLY)..... Between this and the raw water pump being engine mounted, I think I am gonna be spoiled....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Carefully read the link i posted. Very carefully. I fell victim. You may be fine but i want you to be sure.

ScottinAZ

Carefully read the link i posted. Very carefully. I fell victim. You may be fine but i want you to be sure.

I read the link. that page pertains to the earlier OMC Cobras (pre-1995) with the flat top gearcase. Still a LOT of good information there. Mine is the humpbacked version (like the King Cobra, but not impossible to find parts for) which is the "same" as a Volvo SX of the same year. Personally, I consider this a bullet dodged, as I was looking at another boat that had the OMC Cobra (flat top) in it as well.... But I am a sucker for old obsolete garbage that nobody else wants..... Hell, my other boat has an MC-1 on the back of it (early pre-alpha type), and those are getting like hens teeth for parts as well (but they can be nearly directly swapped with an Alpha 1 Gen 1 if they go bad)