Islander Identification

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, somewhat new to the forum, I've owned a 21' Islander Mark IV for about 8-9 years now, and I still dont know exactly what I have.

The old reg I got with the boat said 1975, but the HIN said 74G, I've seen pics of a couple 1974's and looking at the dashes, I think mine is a 74, except I had an older 3 spoke wheel ( shoulda kept ) and a throttle that had a pull out center button, and a wooden handle.

looking on Iboats.com 1974 or 75 doesnt' list a MARK IV and that stickers on the side Say Mark IV, 1976 lists a Mark IV but 22' .... what gives ??

Thanks
Brian

ps.. can see more pictures here.. http://gallery.kainonmedia.com

Attachments

• Copy of 100_0169.JPG
    Copy of 100_0169.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 1

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Islander Identification

Brian welcome to iboats and The Starcraft club :D Starcrafts were kinda funny from year to year I would guess yours is a late 74 early 75 model and could have been titled either way from the description of the boat and the brochures and such unfortunately are not always right on the money.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Real nice boat and great job on the motor. Welcome to the SC club! Update your profile with your location....we like to know where everyone is from.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you !!! I do love my boat, I traded a Pentium III 1ghz computer with Sony 17" SF (square flat Trinitron Tube) with a Printer for it 8 years ago.. the computers worth at the time was $800-$1000, the person I bought it from already had a Republic Seabee (airplane), and a US military DUKW ? (duck) and didn't have time to work on it. I did a bunch of work to it, which I mostly doc'd here.. http://www.kainonmedia.com

I've been wanting to put in a 292ci, but haven't had the extra $$$ to get one. It'd would be nice to have 200hp. When I get another chance, I'll re-attempt upgrading to a Webber 4bbl from a 4.3L V6 I have, just need to make a mount for the Cyl 3 & 4 Diverter. Last attemp the engine topped @ 3300/3500rpms, and that was with the NOVA camshaft.

I love my inline 6, and I love my Islander (even though the cabin is a little low for me, 6' 4". I dont like the newer Islanders.

Thanks, Brian.​

North Beach

Commander

Brian,
I don't really know much about the 70's stuff, but the whole 21 vs 22 foot thing could be the result of just mis-stating. The 60's models came in either 18'4" hulls (Holiday or Starchief) or 21'7" (Sunchief or Chieftain). Most folks list their Holiday or Starchief as an 18 footer while the Sunchief and Chieftain folks seem to be split and some say 21 footer and others say 22.

The 67 Islander (first year of production) was identical to the 66 Sunchief (last year of production) right down to the colors except the change in the topside in adding the cabin. The specs say it's center length is 21'7" but on the same page they say it's a 21 foot lapstrake aluminum boat. I think this lends to the whole 21 vs 22 foot confusion.

They did make 24 and 26 footers here and there in the 70's but those boats were considerably different with higher gunwales and transomes and were outfitted differently.

Edit- I just check the 69 and 71 brochures and it looks like they reduced everthing a little in 69 and again in 70 or 71. I don't have the 70 literature.

In 69 the bigger boats went down to 21'2" and the smaller ones dropped to 18'2".

In 71 they're listed as 21'1" and no change in the length of the Holiday or the Starchief.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info, it does clear up some confusion as to why there are different lengths listed. Like saying "Potatoe, and Potatoe."​

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

So I went to another site, and saw jpgs of a 1974 brochure, DOESN"T show or mention anything about an Islander.

Now Getting upset, cuz I'm still not 100% sure and confident of what I have... :-(​

Rickairmedic

Commander

Brian if you are talking the Yahoo Starcraft owners group page . I dont think the 74 Brochure there is a complete all models brochure I think it only covers the runabout type boats and not the cabin cruisers.

Rick

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, I just looked at it.. I'm calming down now.. yea, it's just the little run-a-bouts.. :)

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

I took a closer look at the tags, there is a fuel vapor warning sticker that says to check connections before August 1, 1975, and there is another tag that say 21 Islander Mark IV, and the HIN says 74G. When I re-reg i'm gonna change it to 74.

If anyone sees any 1974 and/or 1975 Brochures, please let me know.

Thanks
Brian​

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

So a new STR iboat member pm'd me and his 1974 HIN is #STR11223M74J. mine is #STR93162M74G, he has a red interior with the same shifter handle, but looking at a some pics from a craigslist post that stated he is selling a 1975 Islander, looks like mine, can't wait to see what "efgolden's" looks like.

cl_post.jpg

cl_post_3.jpg

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

I bought some Med-BLue Marine Vinyl from Jo-Ann Fabrics the other day.. and am replacing all of the RED with Blue.. I finished covering the wood at the stern above the engine, I painted all of the peices heavily to seal them a bit from the weather, and I replaced the foam that cushioned the aluminum and helped reduce vibrations/rubbing with new Closed Cell 2 sided sticky foam for Truck Campers.

aft_deck_support.jpg

aft_deck_support-2.jpg

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Installed my new Cabin Roof support today, put more Truck Cap closed cell foam between the roof supports and roof, which will reduce the noise and vibrations.

a couple weeks ago I also added a NAVMAN Depthfinder to the dash.

copy_dash_depth.jpg

Here's the cabin support. I've got a couple little rips on the new material, but I'm not going to re-do it right now.. It's not easy to replace this thing.. took me 3 hours to install, re-drill some holes, I also added washers to the screws to help reduce the pull though.. Oh yea.. I replaced the wood 'cause it was rotten on the port side where it attached, I replaced it with the 3/4" marine plywood I had, it should be a lot stronger than the original too !!!

copy_new_cabin_support.jpg

Next I'll be replacing the steering wheel, moving the switch panel from under the dash to infront of my trim switch panel which is in front of my throttle, I'll have to relocate the Manufacturer information.

At somepoint, I'll be replacing the wood in the cabin and recovering it.