Is this workable?

oneoldude

Seaman Apprentice
I just bot a 1991 15' Bayliner Utility with a 55HP Evinrude on it :D . I checked NADA and it says the boat weighs 975 lbs :eek: . I do not know if that is with or without the motor :confused: . <br /><br />I have a branded trailer designed for 15' boats. It used to carry an aluminum runabout with a 70 'Rude on it but it looks real flimsy to me :rolleyes: .<br /><br />The trailer is fabricated from galvanized u-channel that is 1" x 3" and has 12" wheels with tires rated at 780#'s max load.<br /><br />Is this trailer going to get the job done :confused: ? Or do I have to find a stronger trailer :mad: ?<br /><br />Thanks :cool:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Is this workable?

Your trailer tires are rated to carry 1560 lbs max. If the trailer is in good condition (springs & no rot on the tire sidewalls) you should be OK.

rwidman

Lieutenant

1. Get the boat and trailer weighed, don't rely on any published weight. Go to a public scale, truck stop, or recycling center. Have engine, gas, and anything else you normally carry in the boat.<br /><br />2. There should be a label on the trailer (check the tongue or the inside of the frame) stating the capacity and GVW. If there isn't, see if the manufacturer can supply this. information.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Picking up on Solittle's coment:<br />Your trailer tires are rated to carry 1560 lbs max.<br />This figure has been reached by adding the max load of each tire together. That's fine in a straight line, but hit a tight corner with negative camber, and the inside wheel will carry very little weight, while the outside wheel will take the brunt.<br /><br />-Could easily exceed maximum rating then.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Very marginal, Dude.<br /><br />Boat-975 + Engine-250 + 12 gals gas in steel tanks-100 + tackle-50 + misc-100 = 1475lb. Too close for comfort.<br /><br />Tires rated at 780# are likely to be automobile tires, not trailer tires.<br /><br />If the tires are original the trailer is probably rated 1000# to 1500#.<br /><br />At the very least I would upgrade to "C" rated ST tires, but I would much prefer a stronger trailer.<br /><br />Good luck. :)