Is this set up fast enough to pull a skier?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is this set up fast enough to pull a skier?

you really need a wetsuite to do any serious skiing around here. If not, you are only going to be able to ski for 2 months in july and aug.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I got a couple off wetsuite I think a 3 mm and a 9 mm I wear it when I take the boat out it keeps me warm and dry!! I might have to wait for the warm weather to come back or go down south for a week I will have to convince the wife:D thanks again for the feedback I can not wait to try it.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your top speed is plenty. Starting skiers and pulling them out of the water is the bigger challenge but if the skier isn't too heavy you could have success.

1968-73 My folks had a 14' aluminum boat with a 20 hp Merc tiller steer.
No problem for kids. When I got to be 12 my dad would have me pull him with my mom as the spotter.

We also had a 13' Boston Whaler with a 40 hp Johnson 1973 or 74. It worked GREAT for adults - actually I would say was one of the best boats I've ever worked with for teaching new skiers. Incredibly small wake.

Wider skis with more planning area will work the best for you. Wearing a wetsuit or close-fitting swim trunks will drag less and make it easier to get up as well.

Here is some encouragement:
(this was behind the 20 hp 'fishing boat' My sister (11) on adult skis. My brother (12) and me (9) on jr. size skis)

127262572.jpg

skibrain

Re: Info from the website

I just checked a website for your boat. XCAT SATURN 13. The 13' is rated at 15 hp max O/B* with the following footnote:

*Max O/B is a safe power rating at full throttle. It might be possible to install up to 25 HP 2-stroke engine, however due to the heavy weight and increased power of bigger engines, it is not advisable to put the throttle into high gears in order to avoid damage to the transom.

After reading that, I would say that pulling a skier at full throttle with your 30 hp motor would not be advisable.

Ned L

Commander

I don't know if they are still made, but you used to be able to buy ski towing brackets for 'smaller' outboards that clamped around the lower unit at about the waterline, which allowed the tow line to clip right to the lower unit. These were great as there was absolutely no additional strain put on the boat or transom, they were the best way to tow a skiier.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

I just checked a website for your boat. XCAT SATURN 13. The 13' is rated at 15 hp max O/B* with the following footnote:

*Max O/B is a safe power rating at full throttle. It might be possible to install up to 25 HP 2-stroke engine, however due to the heavy weight and increased power of bigger engines, it is not advisable to put the throttle into high gears in order to avoid damage to the transom.

After reading that, I would say that pulling a skier at full throttle with your 30 hp motor would not be advisable.
My boat is the real deal it is rated for 40hp max and made in Korea the ones at botstogo is a cheep virgin of mine and it is made in china they are deferent boats:D thanks for your concern

skibrain

Super. Sounded like you knew what you were talking about.
Go for it!

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Hi skibrain how long ago were this photos and is all the three kids on 1 line? with a 20hp wow thanks for the encouragement I got some older wide skies and I well try tomorrow or sat wish me luck. Any last minute advice for a newbie? this is my first time towing a skier I don't want to heart any one!!her is a photo of my transom

Attachments

• cover 030.jpg
    cover 030.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0

skibrain

The photo was about 39 yrs ago. All of us were pretty small children so there was not a lot of weight and it was spread out between three pair of skis. We were all pretty good skiers at a young age.

Do either the skier or the driver have any experience?
What is the weight of the skier?
Is your wife part of this adventure?
Is she a willing partner? :)

There are some other threads on this forum that look like they offer links to good teaching method. As others have said, having someone with experience there to help would be a big plus.

I don't know how to create links on this forum yet:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=169555&highlight=water+skiing

A couple of suggestions. If your transom tow eyes are quite wide apart, you may want to tie a bridle tope to each transom eye and attach the ski rope to that. It will pull more evenly so the boat does not steer to one side at the start.

The driver will need to gently take slack out of the rope before the start. After the skier is ready and yells "hit it" I'm quite sure the driver for your boat will need to apply FULL THROTTLE. It may require 6-8 seconds of patience by the driver and for the skier to come out of the water and boat to get up on plane. This long drag will be the biggest challenge. It is very fatiguing and the skis are difficult to control before they are planing and supporting the skier.

The boat is also struggling to get to plane during this time. Many new skiers require 4-8 attempts to get out of the water. We have also taught kids who get it the first time, and those who have taken 30 tries or more.

The wetsuits are a good idea. If you get tired, take a break and try later or on another day. Take it easy on and make it a fun time with your wife. :)

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

once you get up, it is just like skiing on snow.
The turn are just like turning on snow skis, and the balance is the same feeling.
the water feels like solid ground.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

OK I did all the reading I can about this and I am ready to put it to use Now I have to convince the wife and her sister it is not that cold to ski:eek: it is only 53 right now I wonder what is the water temp today? OK I am going to get ready I will post the result later have a nice day

skibrain

Getting your wife and sister in law to participate will be more impressive than the skiiing! Good luck and take photos!

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Will I was able to convince them to come out:) but I could not convince them to get in the water it was very cold:eek:her are some photos of the Potomac at sun set:)
MikDee thanks for the link good staff we will try again tomorrow

Attachments

• costarika 935.jpg
    costarika 935.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 0
  • costarika 962.jpg
    costarika 962.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0

skibrain

That's beautiful glassy water! Better luck tomorrow.

We wear drysuits once the water drops below about 60 degrees here in MN. This week our water was down to 47 degrees. Hands a face get cold but otherwise fine.

166105545.jpg

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Great photos! :)

I don't ski here because the boat motor we have on our inflatable won't pull a skier, but those that do, are still out there and will be for several more months, even with tempetures hanging around freezing mark. Like skibrain, the hardcore skiers all wear dry suits. Speaking of dry suits they have all been dropped up to 75% here in price, because of the lack luster “season sales” of them. Now looks like a good time to buy one if you don't have one already.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

This may sound stupid is a dry suits not the same as a wet suit?

skibrain

Re: Drysuit/wetsuit

Re: Drysuit/wetsuit

Drysuits have tight seals at the neck, ankles and wrists and don't allow any (or at least very little) water inside the suit. They have a big water-tight zipper across the shoulders for entry and are typically either a baggy suit, close-fitting neoprene type, or a combination, baggy top and neo bottom. As it gets colder I wear a layer of polypro underwear underneath.

Prices new are $250 to $500.

Wetsuits let water in next to the skin. Prices for a full wet suit are around $60 to $200.

Here is an example of a variety of drysuits:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/catalog.cgi

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

AHHHH more mony

skibrain

Or buy one used on ebay or craigslist. I rarely buy stuff new.

The DIFFERENCE is comfort in cold water.