Is this raw water pump serviceable?

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

My 20 year old Glastron sx175 volvo penta sea raw water pump bearings are shot, from the picture is it worth replacing the unit where the impeller sits there is a some wear and tear - or just changing the bearings?

1694191731929.png

Thanks

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Agree, replace the entire unit. One potential source for a rebuilt that can lessen the impact is at this link.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm surprised it's conclusive for a new pump - I thought you American's always fixed something than replacing 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm surprised it's conclusive for a new pump - I thought you American's always fixed something than replacing 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'.
we do, however the repair kit is about 1/4 the cost of the pump. however most people do not have an arbor press

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
fair points, it's a little more expensive in the UK than 200 bucks unfortunately - it's £430.
I suppose I could purchase from china for around £100
Repair kit is circa £35 - I was going to use a socket to tap the bearing back in.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
fair points, it's a little more expensive in the UK than 200 bucks unfortunately - it's £430.
I suppose I could purchase from china for around £100
Repair kit is circa £35 - I was going to use a socket to tap the bearing back in.
its either a johnson F6B-9 (big V8's) or a johnson F5B-9 (small v8's, v6's, etc)

kenny nunez

Captain
You never mentioned that you were in the UK. I now understand your plight. If you have the tools and ability then take a shot at repairing It.
Here in the “colonies” we are spoiled with lower prices for those type of things.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I were to repair this pump, what's everyone's thoughts on the wear and tear as to the area the impeller sits, should it do any damage spinning away?