Is this normal wear on a distributor belt?

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know replacing this belt is a bear. I also know that if it break out on the water that will be bad and maybe even a vacation killer. So should I replace this belt considering what bear it can be to pull a flywheel that has likely never been removed?chrysler 135hp belt.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Put a new belt on.-----Pulling the flywheel with the right puller and technique takes just minutes.-----Mark it or find the timing marks before starting the job.

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, So this looks like a worn out belt? I have read many bad stories about the flywheel being a real bear. You have to use heat, puller bolts breaking off in the flywheel, etc. All really bad things. I have also heard that the key is to put the puller, on tighten it up, and hit the flywheel with a hammer to help break the seal. Then they usually come right off and yes scrib mark it first.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Replacing the belt is not a BEAR.-----Not sure why you state that.-----Flywheels come off easily with proper puller and technique !!-----Simple as that.----A flywheel nut is torqued down.----That pushes the flywheel taper down over the crankshaft taper on most outboards.-----That makes for a tight fit so there can be no wear from vibration at 5000 RPM.------So yes , you have to learn the technique if you have not done it for 50+ years.

Nordin

Commander
Right tools and it will go really easy.
Have only have one flywheel that did not come loose in my about 25 years playing with outboards.
You do not have to make a mark when change the belt.
The distributor pulley has a line and an arrow at the top. It is a curved line that shall follow the flywheel rim and the arrow shall be perpendicular to the flywheel when the top piston is at TDC.
You tighten the belt so you can push on the belt at the middle of it´s length with a 0,008 feeler gauge and when the feeler gauge starts top bend it shall push the belt in about 1/4 in.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If someone over torqued the nut it will STRETCH the flywheel too much on the crank taper.-----It will hold on like a " highschool wrastling champion " grabbing you by the neck.

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks again for the tips. My guess is it's never been off. This might even be the original distributor belt. I'm thinking I just go for it. Like anything with really old motors go nice and slow and try not to force anything to much. One broken part and the whole thing can end up a boat anchor cuz parts are hard to find to really expensive. Looks like repair manual says torque nut to 90lbs. Interesting procedure to "lap" the flywheel bore using valve lapping compound if it needs it. Cool.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lapping the tapers is a common procedure.----The flywheel key on most motors is there for setting the timing !-----The flywheel is driven by the locked tapers.-----It must be so!.----On some years of Johnson a 9.9 and 300 HP use the same flywheel key.

topgun3690

Ensign
I used a good flywheel puller and had no problem getting mine off. Since I was putting my original FW on the rebuilt PH I went ahead and did the lapping with the valve grinding compound, just to be sure it fit right. 90 Ft lbs on the FW nut.....no problems so far. My factory manual explained how to lap it. Was kind of messy but easy to do. Make sure to clean all the lapping compound off real good....and put the FW on dry....NO oil or grease. I put a new dist belt on also....the old one looked good but had no idea how old it was. Good luck.