Is this engine big enough for this boat?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Is this engine big enough for this boat?

Cruise Speed:

I find that on most lakes a cruise speed below 30 is very typical. On lakes especially smaller lakes you need to look out for the other guy. I seldom go over 35 just because it is too hard to know that your path is clear and will stay clear for long enough to react if things change. In addition when you are on a lake you cross wakes frequently if you aren't paying attention you can get into real trouble if you're going to fast.

My boat tops out at 44. When at that speed there is very little boat in the water. If there is a slight wake or wave it can get airborn pretty easily. Also, it can start to chine walk if the waves are just wrong. On a smooth or wind rippled lake it will run 44 all day and be rock solid the whole time.

I guess my point is that the cruise speed you run at is very dependent on the condition you are currently running in. From experience a planned cruise speed below 30 seems pretty common.

For water sports you shouldn't run much if at all over 30. A tuber behind a boat going 30 can get going a lot faster if they are on the outside of a turn. An experienced slalom skier will probably like to be in the 35 range or a little less.

loosewire

Recruit

We test ran the 214F today and I was very impressed with the power out of the hole and the quickness to 40. We topped it out at 46 MPH with a full tank and 5 people (about 800lbs), this was on rough water as the winds were about 20MPH. I believe on a smooth lake 50+ would be reached. Keep in mind I just sold a 23.5' with 350mag and brav3 and was still inpressed enough to buy the 214 today and bring it home. The room and layout is as good as I have seen on this size boat. Would reccomend to anyone looking that the 270 H/P 5.0 with duo-prop is adequate for this rig.

We have run a Four Winns 234 FS since 2002 when we bought it new. This is a little bit bigger than yours. LOA 26' because of the extended swim platform which is really a lot of fun. We have a 5.0 liter, 260HP merc cruiser bravo 3. We pull 3 double tubes with 6-7 people on them and another 4 in the boat. It's a little slow to get started with that load, but it does fine when on plane. We also love to take many people with us when we go. Some folks have explained to me it does not take as much HP to push a Funship as it does a bowrider because of the deadrise and design.
My only caution would be Four Winns has not been responsive to a warranty issue the dealer has presented them with. As a result I tell people not to expect Four Winns to stand behind their product. However, we have greatly enjoyed this boat.