Is this boat a good deal?

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking to buy a boat, and I saw this boat for sale. The guy says it is in good condition and runs perfect. He said he thinks it is an 84 seaswirl. He said it is "rough around the edges" but still a good boat. He is asking 500.00 for it. I am going to look at it tomorrow, but from first view, does this boat look like a good deal for 500.00?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 0

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Is this boat a good deal?

The only way to even consider buying that boat is take it to the lake or river and run it for a couple of hours at all speeds...see how it runs!....The fact that he's selling it for $500 would be a red flag to me!...:)Good Luck!....you're gonna need it!

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well he owns a gas station up in the mountain area here in utah down near where I grew up. The gas station has been under remodeling for a while. He said he is selling it so he can finish his remodeling of his store, so he has it low to sell quick, and since here in Utah it is getting close to the end of boating season, where peopledon't buy much until spring. I mean to me, it looks like it is in pretty good shape.

Generally, is a 1984 seaswirl a good boat for fishing and some fun on the lake with the family?
lets say this boat is in good condition, what should someone expect to pay for it?

GMC2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Everyone on here will tell you to leave it because it has an OMC Electric Shift outdrive on it. And from the looks of it, if the outdrive is original, it would be in the 1973-1977 range. If you aren't ready to work on it mechanically and spend a lot of time (finding parts) and money in doing so, then leave it.

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what engine outdrive is a good one to look for. Here in utah there are several hydro swifts, and tri-hull boats for sale.I do not care if it is outboard or inboard. Are hydroswifts good boats?

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

OMC went out of business several years ago. So few replacement parts available. Mercruiser and Volvo drives are still made, so they're easier to get parts for.

Mason78

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will the seller allow you a water test? When I was boat shopping several people refused to allow me to test it on the lake. That was a big red flag to me.

southkogs

Staff member

I have a very similar rig to what you are looking at there. The steering arm on that system is suggesting that it's an electric shift of '70 - '73 vintage, but that's a guess more than anything. Another guess is that the steering has been replaced - the helm looks newer. The OMC electric shift is not impossible to get parts for, and it's not so terribly complicated that it can't be worked on. BUT ... it will need to be worked on (sooner rather than later) and you won't find too many mechanics who want to work on it. Mine has made a mechanic out of me. But on the overall, I like it.

At a $500 budget, you're going to be limited in runabout boats. If you can take that budget up, you'll get much more boat. If that's what your limit is, be prepared that nearly anything you buy will be a project. But if the boat is sound structurally and runs well it's worth a look.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

No serial #? The last two #'s indicate the year. If it is infact a early 70's model, use that info to take some off that price, since now you know that OMC drive system is a ball buster to get fixed if it's broke (how would you know?). I'd give him what it's worth to a salvage yard.

See you on the lake

Joe

shrew

Lieutenant

Well he owns a gas station up in the mountain area here in utah down near where I grew up. The gas station has been under remodeling for a while. He said he is selling it so he can finish his remodeling of his store, so he has it low to sell quick, and since here in Utah it is getting close to the end of boating season, where peopledon't buy much until spring. I mean to me, it looks like it is in pretty good shape.

It matters not why he's selling it. All that matters is the condition of the boat, motor and, in this case the drive as well. I would expect to spend more money on that boat than the boat is worth in the short run.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Always water test. No test, no sale.

V

southkogs

Staff member

I would expect to spend more money on that boat than the boat is worth in the short run.

I would agree ... it's an old boat, with an old drive. Period. It may be running "perfectly" right now. However, within the next 24 months a 40 year old "widget" somewhere in the engine, on the outdrive or in the rigging is going to go "kaput." You're going to have to figure out how to fix that particular 40 year old widget.

I would say that boat - if it's in perfect running condition, is only worth about $1000. You're going to put at least $1,500 in it over the next two years in a best case scenario. Treat it as a project, and it won't disappoint you. Approach it as a turn-key buy and you'll want to sink it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

So what engine outdrive is a good one to look for. Here in utah there are several hydro swifts, and tri-hull boats for sale.I do not care if it is outboard or inboard. Are hydroswifts good boats?

Do not concern yourself with the brand of the boat. When you start getting into low cost well used boats.....they're all just hunks of fiberglass that either do or do not have rotted decks/stringers/transoms and either are or are not equipped with obsolete powerplants.

If that old of a boat, you pretty much want to stick with Mercruiser for I/O's. OMC's are all obsolete. Volvos I think are going to be a pricey for parts that far back. Someone can probably shed better light on the Volvo thing than I can. For an outboard, anything but Chrysler/Force is fine.

If you want to get on the water cheaply with the least chance of acquiring a total money-pit, I'd recommend an aluminum hull with an outboard.

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are all OMC engine prone to problems? I am looking at a boat that is a 1981 17' Sea star with a 4 cyl OMC engine.

Here is a picture of the stern drive if this help, but it is a nice bat what looks to be in good condition. In this threat, people have said to stay away from the OMC. does it mean ALL OMC engine, or just certain ones.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 11675450.jpg
    11675450.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most of the marine engines are common automotive blocks with marine ignition, starter, alternator, camshaft, etc. So the engines are seldom the problem when it comes to finding parts. The drive and the exhaust manifolds are where OMC parts are getting scarce.

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good point. However at the start of this threat, some were saying the electric steering was going to go out on the boat I was thinking of buying at the very top. I gathered they were saying OMC was known for that and other issues. I know that all boat engines and drives are going to have issues sometime, but is there something about OMC that are more prone to issues than others like volvo, or merc, or is the only reason people do not care for OMC is because when something does go wrong, parts are hard to find?

I am seeing lots of boats for sale in my area this time of the year. However some of the boats I am considering have OMC, and some have Volvo or merc. However some of the bpats with OMC, looks to be better taken care of then some of the boats with Volvo, or outboards. However after this thread, I am worried to buy an OMC engine / drive in fear it will have nothing but issues.

So when people were talking about the issues with the OMC, after looking at the boat I initially posted, does the electric steering, and other common OMC issues specific to certain engine/drive years or combinations, or are all OMC engines/drives prone to issues like people mentioned above?

southkogs

Staff member

The problem with OMC is mainly this ... they're out of the stern drive business. Any OMC stern drive you buy will be an obsolete unit. Mercruiser is still going strong, and is by far the most popular stern drive. Volvo makes a good unit too, and they're out there as well.

OMC produced two (mainly) lines of stern drives: The Stringers (electric shift/400/800), and the Cobras (which I'm not as familiar with). The boat you originally listed in this thread had an electric shift OMC stringer in it. In the mid 70's OMC stopped the electric shift and moved to hydro-mechanical and then mechanical shift stringer drives. Second boat you show is a stringer 800 mechanical shift (I think).

There are a bunch of gripes about the stringers. I've found that I actually like mine. Finding parts has not been too tough, and I've been able to tackle nearly any problem that I've had with it (and I'm not very mechanical). The OMC drives will make a mechanic out of you over time.

Mercruiser and Volvo are still in business. They have good parts availability and a strong service network. That makes them a little more appealing, though I've heard there are certain engine/drive combos you need to watch out for.

BTW - my first thought on the '81 is "I wonder if a 4cyl is quite enough for that boat?" I have a '72 17' (technically 18') with a 6cyl and she can be a slug coming out of the hole. Make sure you drive that one.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you are buying a boat and it has am omc on it.........just forget it....walk away and dont even think about it.......

why buy a headache?.......just forget about it....

sorry for sugar coating