Is this bad? A picture lesson in water pumps.

bben76

Seaman
How to make a lawn ornament in pictures...

808845797_1d6d93ed3c.jpg

I make joke.

808845863_6a788abe87.jpg

Of course this is bad!

808845849_592613df66.jpg

What the hell happened! How does this happen?

My first guess is that I'm just another bad backyard mechanic.

1971 60hp electric shift. Replaced all lower unit seals and pump this last winter. Here is the saga of that process for reference:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=184717
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=187144
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=186366

My second guess why this happened is that I had the motor sitting in a Rubbermaid container. Although I kept a good watch on the water level some of the water began to spill out from prop spin when I put it in gear, creating a situation where the water level dropped below the intake level and so the pump did not have water supplied to it. But I would guess it did not run for more than 3 minutes in this condition before I noticed and shut it down.

Would a loss of water supply really cause a new pump to crumble into tiny itsy-bitsy pieces?

My third guess why this could have happened is that I had a lid on that Rubbermaid container I mentioned. Which seemed to cause a trap of exhaust which in turn highly polluted the water. Here's a pic of the water:

809769402_b56c6d388b.jpg

Is it possible that oily water (more like sludge) had anything to with it?

The good news is (I guess) is that I keep a close watch on my temp by using the 2 sec hand checking. The good folks on here taught me that early, since I made a practice of it I knew what my normal temp felt like and I knew immediately when it was out of temp b/c I hand checked it when I noticed a less than normal tell tale. So the powerhead should still be good.

Other good news is that I can still move water through the powerhead - did this by shooting water up water tube with hose and had good flow out of return tube - not sure if this good to do but I don't really have a lot to loose. So I think this proves that no water pump pieces are stuck in the cooling system.

Anyway, a good lesson for everyone. Watch that water level!

As for the cause.... is my water level guess accurate?

p.s. i'm certain I had the correct pump for this engine and installed it correctly as I did a lot of research, a lot posting, and followed the book. And I ran it for a couple months before this event with no issues.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is this bad? A picture lesson in water pumps.

that is strickly running in water not deep enough. the impeller melted. i had several do that.

i went thru 2 impellers until i learned that 71's don't like muffs, and like deep water. mine looked just like yours.

iwombat

Captain

Impeller can do that in a matter of seconds w/o water.

Xcusme

Commander

Boy!! If ever there was a post showing the reason for proper immersion depth in a test barrel, this is it. This should be a sticky for sure. If for no other reason , to convince folks of what "could" happen, to what "can and will" happen when the water pump is starved for cooling water, even for a short time.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gorilla glue job. :)